HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ashley Combe

Hob Uid: 1127301
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Porlock
Grid Ref : SS8572048140
Summary : Ruins of an Italianate house on the edge of Worthy Combe. The house was built by Lord Lovelace in 1866 to replace an earlier possibly 17th century house. Ashley Combe was sold by the family and used for various purposes before it was demolished in about 1960. The house was surrounded by extensive grounds laid out with terraces and tunnels [see SS 84 NE 34]. Several cottages and a lodge designed by Voysey, which still survive, were added to the esate in the 1930s.
More information : The ruins of Ashley Combe, an Italianate house and gardens, lie on the edge of Worthy Combe, centred at SS 8572 4815. The original house may have dated from the 17th century, but the Italianate house was built in 1866 by Lord King, later the first Lord Lovelace. After the family sold it, the house was used as a country club before WWII, then as a Barnado's Home. The structure became unsafe and was demolished in about 1960 (1-3).

Several photographs of the house survive (see authorities 2 and 3). The remains of the house are centred at SS 8572 4815. Much rubble is scattered around, together with the remains of the entrance to the service wing. This consists of a complex of tunnels and arches. A small retaining wall runs for about 12m to the south of this. The remains of a covered garden area or service area lie at SS 8572 4816. The house sat within extensive grounds, laid out with terraces and a system of extraordinary tunnels, which are recorded under SS 84 NE 31.

The architect Voysey added several cottages and a lodge in the 1930s (1). The cottages, including Lovelace at SS 8572 4797, lie along the combe. Yearnor Mill Bridge (SS 8517 4721) may also date from this period. The lodge (SS 8582 4820) consists of a cottage and a block which spans the road, it includes many details which echo those in the ruined house and garden structures (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : South and west Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 276
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Corner D 1992 Porlock in those days
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Astell J 1995 Around Minehead
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Riley H 1999 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1866
Monument End Date : 1866
Monument Start Date : 1866
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1936
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1936
Monument Type : Estate Cottage
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33945
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 NE 31
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :