HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Gupworthy Old Pit

Hob Uid: 1127718
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Brompton Regis
Grid Ref : SS9655835292
Summary : "Gupworthy Old Pit, disused" is marked on Ordnance Survey maps of 1904 and 1962. The mine was owned by the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company and was begun in 1858 but expanded with the extension of the railway in 1862-3. The underground pumping and winding engine was replaced by a surface engine. After a brief closure in 1879 it re-opened in 1881 and was worked until 1885. It is believed there may have been some work here in the 20th century. Most of the buildings are ruinous having been robbed for stone. Only the drying house was standing in 1984 and was evidence as a mortared stone slate-roofed structure.
More information : See summary.

Located at SS 9655 3527 is an area of disturbed ground in the region of the above mentioned Gupworthy Old Pit. The features were seen as slight earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. (8)

The remains of Gupworthy Old Pit consist of the shaft head now capped with concrete in the garden of a private house, at approximately SS 9667 3532. To the south, at SS 9666 3527, was a massive spoil heap adjacent to the WSMR. That has now been removed and no trace of it survives. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 25" 1974
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The West Somerset mineral railway and the story of the Brendon Hills iron mines
Source details : Sellick R, 1970, The West Somerset Mineral Railway
Page(s) : 45,54,59
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bryant TC, 1980, The Hollow Hills of Brendon
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Burrow I, SCPD, 11-APR-1984
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : CPE.UK.1980 3339 April 1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : SCPD.HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97, 8782 Sept 1971
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK/1980/3341 11-APR-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Wilson-North March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1885
Monument Start Date : 1858
Monument Type : Ironstone Mine, Drying House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33379
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 93 NE 36
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: BRENDON HILLS MAPPING PROJECT, NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-10-01