HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kennisham Hill Pit

Hob Uid: 1128112
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Luxborough
Grid Ref : SS9630036100
Summary : "Kennisham Hill Pit, disused" is marked on the 6" 1962 map. it was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company works. It had been worked before 1867 by a drift 150 ft deep and a long adit which emerged 350 yards to the east. Ore was carried to Langham pit by means of an aerial cableway called "The Flying Machine". The mine was finally closed in 1883. The engine house was demolished in 1973. There are earthwork remains visible of the mine workings, including spoil heaps and a series of pits or openworking following a lode west and east of the main shaft head at SS 9631 3605. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale in March 1999 as part of RCHME's Exmoor Project.
More information : Kennisham Hill Pit, disused" is marked on the 6" 1962 map. it was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company works. It had been worked before 1867 by a drift 150 ft deep and a long adit which emerged 350 yards to the east. Ore was carried to Langham pit by means of an aerial cableway called "The Flying Machine". The mine was finally closed in 1883. The engine house was demolished in 1973. There are earthwork remains visible of the mine workings. (1-7)

Nothing survives of the engine house, and the shaft has been filled in. The area of the shaft head is surrounded by a smoothed spoil heap. To the east (and to the west) are a series of conjoined pits forming a linear trench, running approximately west-north-west to east-south-east. They run continuously for about 200 m east of the shaft head, and sporadically for 200 m to the west. These may represent mining operations predating the documented activity in the 19th century.
Investigated as part of RCHME's East Exmoor Project and surveyed at 1:2500 scale. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The West Somerset mineral railway and the story of the Brendon Hills iron mines
Source details : Sellick R, 1970, The West Somerset Mineral Railway
Page(s) : 40,44,46,51-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bryant TC, 1980 The Hollow Hills of Brendon
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : Aston M and Murless BJ
Page(s) : 146
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 122, 1979
Source Number : 5
Source : Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society surveys
Source details : SIAS, 1981, Kennisham Hill Engine House
Page(s) : 40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Correspondence re: demolition, at SCPD
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : CPE.UK.1980 3339-3340 April 1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : R Wilson-North 12 March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Kennisham Pit/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Kennisham Pit/pencil survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened 1867
Monument End Date : 1867
Monument Start Date : 1867
Monument Type : Ironstone Mine
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Closed 1883
Monument End Date : 1883
Monument Start Date : 1883
Monument Type : Ironstone Mine
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished 1973
Monument End Date : 1973
Monument Start Date : 1973
Monument Type : Engine House
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33745
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 93 NE 60
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :