HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Greystoke Castle

Hob Uid: 11310
Location :
Cumbria
Eden
Greystoke
Grid Ref : NY4350030900
Summary : Castle, the licence to crenellate a tower house given in 1353. Mostly destroyed in 1648 by General Lambert's army but rebuilt, enlarged and altered in 1789 and restored in 1840.
More information : [NY 4350 3090] Greystoke Castle [G.T.] (1)

Greystoke Castle - Licence to crenellate was given in 1353 and three towers were built one of which still stands at the S.W. end. The other two were destroyed by General Lambert's Army in 1648. Curwen states that the castle was burnt down then and rebuilt in 1675 but Lady Howard says there is no record of this. Enlarged and altered 1789, restored 1840. (2-3)

In good condition, see photograph. (4)

Castle rebuilt as a country house. On a medieval site incorporating parts of the building licensed to crenellate 1353, for the Greystock family. Damaged during the Civil War, partly rebuilt in late C17 and refronted 1710 for the Howard family, with mid C18 alterations for 10th Duke of Norfolk. 1789 wing and further alterations for the 11th Duke of Norfolk; extensive refacing dated 1839 on lead rainwater heads (completed 1846) by Anthony Salvin for Henry Howard, and further work by Salvin after a fire in 1868, for the same owner; mid C20 restoration for Stafford Howard. Mixed pink and yellow sandstone ashlar, the earlier parts large blocks of sandstone rubble, with string courses and battlemented parapets; graduated slate roof, flat on tower; banded red sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. Left 2-storey, 9-bay wing with rear angled central 4-storey rectangular tower and projecting right wing of numerous bays, which has been reduced to a single storey and built around a small courtyard. The left wing appears to be almost completely Salvin's work, but is within earlier gable end walls. Central 2-storey porch and projecting end bays. Porch has flat-headed chamfered-surround doorway with hoodmould, under a large mullion-and-transomed window, the parapet carved with Howard coat-of-arms flanked by constituent family arms. Recessed bays and projections have irregular large mullioned-and-transomed windows. Parapet finials are heraldic supporters with pendants. The right wing projects in 2 stages; the first stage a single bay with a small angle turret; the second stage has an angled wall with 3 blocked Gothic windows under hoodmoulds, the remainder of the wall with slit vents. Left return wall of the main wing is partly medieval; a right-angled buttress has a shouldered-arched doorway leading into a small mural chamber; a further parallel buttress has a blocked shouldered-arched upper-floor doorway, the recess filled with an unusual inscribed socket stone. The rear of this wing has again been refaced by Salvin but its irregularity suggests earlier walls within. 2 storeys, 3 bays with right recessed bay and end projecting bay. Various mullioned windows with cusped heads, a left canted bay window and right 2-storey bay window. The tower has 2 medieval storeys over a vaulted basement, with a further 2 storeys added, with battlements, in late C18; C18 Gothic windows, those on upper floors 2-light with trefoil heads. 1789 wing, now single-storey: C19 2-light stone-mullioned windows and base of polygonal angle tower. Part of the courtyard wall retains a blocked upper-floor pointed-arched window. The remainder of the courtyard filled with C20 garages, woodstore, storerooms and toilets. Interior is Salvin's work after the fire. Listing NGR: NY4354330893. (5)

Listed by Cathcart King. (6)

Listed with plan from 1987 survey. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" (Prov.) 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (Lady Howard)
Page(s) : 156-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 24 - 1924
Source Number : 3
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (J.F Curwen)
Page(s) : 205-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13 - 1913
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 04-JUN-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Cumb Penrith RD Aug 1966 19
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 86
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Jan-83
Source Number : 7
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 186-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : license to crenellate
Monument End Date : 1353
Monument Start Date : 1353
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Stuart
Display Date : Ruined 1648
Monument End Date : 1648
Monument Start Date : 1648
Monument Type : Castle
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Georgian
Display Date : 1789
Monument End Date : 1789
Monument Start Date : 1789
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : 1840
Monument End Date : 1840
Monument Start Date : 1840
Monument Type : Country House, Domestic Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Restored 1869
Monument End Date : 1869
Monument Start Date : 1869
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 73832
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1290545
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 43 SW 7
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1185005
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 43 SW 7
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-06-04
End Date : 1971-06-04