HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Linstock Castle

Hob Uid: 11417
Location :
Cumbria
Carlisle
Stanwix Rural
Grid Ref : NY4289058480
Summary : Farmhouse, formerly a tower house. Built in the 12th or early 13th century as palace for the Bishops of Carlisle, with 17th-20th century additions and alterations. Tower has large blocks of red sandstone, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, for walls 2 metres thick; slate gabled roof. 3 storeys, one bay, tower. Entrance to ground floor, has chamfered rounded arch with continuous hood-mould hidden by ivy: above left is original first-floor entrance with rounded arch, now filled. Windows inserted in 1768 with plain freestone surrounds, sashes with glazing bars, 19th century plank door. East face has 2 round-headed lancets and one flat-headed chamfered lancet, now all filled. Ground floor chamfered lancet to west face. 20th century steel casement in north face. Interior has pointed arch vaulting to ground floor without stairs: first-floor room connected to 2 second-floor rooms by stair in thickness of the wall. Walls originally higher and flat roof, reduced and gabled 1768. Extension at right angles of 2 storeys, 2 bays has sandstone rubble walls partly covered by render, is probably early 17th century incorporating parts of an earlier out building. Two 17th century chamfered mullion windows with mixed 19th and 20th century sashes, with with single glazing bars and steel casements. Further one bay early 19th century extension of brick under same roof with 20th century kitchen extension of single storey, 2 bays to side. Close to the castle are the remains of the encircling moat. Used as Bishops Palace c1219-early 14th century, then as prison and refuge for villagers in border raids. For 6 days in March 1307, Edward I, his Queen and Court were entertained here, whilst Parliament was held in Carlisle. Earthwork remains of a medieval moat around the castle.
More information : (NY 42875849) Castle (NR) (Remains of) (NAT) (1)

Linstock Castle is listed as a 14th century Pele Tower. The lordship is mentioned circa 1120-33, but the first mention of the building is in 1292. In circa 1450 the castle was abandoned by the Bishops of Carlisle in favour of Rise Castle, and was used for the defence of the local people. The Castle was at one time moated, but the ditch is now mostly filled in. The tower, which is 32ft x 251/2ft has had its upper portion much modified and gabled over; it was repaired, and modern windows added in 1768.Wilson states that there is no early justification for its denomination as a Castle. (2-4)

Correctly described and in good condition. See GP for western aspect. Remains of a moat, now dry, survive on the NW and SW sides.
Surveyed at 1:2500. (5)

Linstock Castle, Grade 2*. (6)

(NY 42875849) Linstock Castle (NAT) Peel (NR) (7)

Linstock Castle
II*
Farmhouse, formerly tower house. C12 or early C13 as palace for the Bishops of Carlisle, with C17-C20 additions and alterations. Tower has large blocks of red sandstone, mostly from Roman Wall nearby, for walls 2 metres thick; slate gabled roof. 3 storeys, one bay, tower. Entrance to ground floor, has chamfered rounded arch with continuous hood-mould hidden by ivy: above left is original first-floor entrance with rounded arch, now filled. Windows inserted 1768 with plain freestone surrounds, sashes with glazing bars, C19 plank door. East face has 2 round-headed lancets and one flat-headed chamfered lancet, now all filled. Ground floor chamfered lancet to west face. C20 steel casement in north face. Interior has pointed arch vaulting to ground floor without stairs: first-floor room connected to 2 second-floor rooms by stair in thickness of the wall. Walls originally higher and flat roof, reduced and gabled 1768. Extension at right angles of 2 storeys, 2 bays has sandstone rubble walls partly covered by render, is probably early C17 incorporating parts of an earlier out building. Two C17 chamfered mullion windows with mixed C19 and C20 sashes, with with single glazing bars and steel casements. Further one bay early C19 extension of brick under same roof with C20 kitchen extension of single storey, 2 bays to side. Close to the castle are the remains of the encircling moat. Used as Bishops Palace c1219-early C14, then as prison and refuge for villagers in border raids. For 6 days in March 1307, Edward I, his Queen and Court were entertained here, whilst Parliament was held in Carlisle. (8)

Linstock. Included in list of Cumberland moats. (9)

Listed with plan and illustrations. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (J F Curwen)
Page(s) : 298-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13, 1913
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wilson, J 1912 Rose Castle
Page(s) : 08-Sep
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (T H B Graham)
Page(s) : 194
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 12, 1912
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 05-APR-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov List) Border RD, Cumberland: Jan 1948
Page(s) : 40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:10000 1976
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : City of Carlisle, Cumbria: 22.9.83
Page(s) : 25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (J Bennet, A Herne and A Whitworth)
Page(s) : 81
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 87, 1987
Source Number : 10
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 84
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12 or early C13
Monument End Date : 1232
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Tower House, Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : C20
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 77660
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 45 NW 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 45 NW 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-04-05
End Date : 1966-04-05