HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Leonard Stanley Priory

Hob Uid: 115106
Location :
Gloucestershire
Stroud
Leonard Stanley
Grid Ref : SO8020003228
Summary : The remains of Leonard Stanley Priory, a Benedictine foundation, which lies immediately to the south of the parish church of St Swithin and comprises a Saxon chapel, Listed Grade II*, a pond and the below ground remains of the conventual buildings. The priory precinct would have originally been more extensive, but the evidence for this is not fully understood. All the conventual buildings have been levelled. To the south west of the parish church is a single celled chapel of tenth or 11th century origin. The roof of the chapel appears to have been altered during the 17th century when it was used as a barn. To the west of the chapel is a pond which is thought to have been a fishpond associated with the medieval priory. The western side of the precinct, to the south of the Saxon chapel, contained the kitchen, which is known to have been a square stone building with a louvred roof and which was standing until 1834. Leonard Stanley Priory was founded as a cell of Augustinian canons between 1121 and 1131 by Roger de Berkeley, lord of the manor. In 1146 the house became a cell of Gloucester Abbey, and therefore a Benedictine foundation. The Saxon chapel was incorporated into the foundation, and until the completion of the church of St Swithin, was the main place of worship for both monks and villagers, after which it served as a guest and private chapel for the prior. The foundation was dissolved in 1538, after which the site became a farm, and the buildings were converted for use as farm buildings. Scheduled.
More information : (SO 802032) Remains of (NAT) St Leonard's Priory (NR)
(Augustinian founded AD 1121) Ch Stocks. (1)

A priory of Augustinian canons was founded at Leonard Stanley
between AD 1121 and 1130. In 1146 iit became a cell of the
Benedictine Abbey of St Peter at Gloucester, with which it
remained until its suppression in 1538 (2). The church of St
Swithun was originally part of the priory. Much Norman work
remains, including doorways and windows in the nave. The conventual
buildings to the south of the church have been mostly destroyed
(3), but a vault beneath the north end of Priory Farm may have
formed a portion of the vanished part, and the medieval tithe-barn
with its Decorated gable window still remains (4). The priory
kitchen was extant in 1787 (5). The ruined chapel immediately
SW of the church is of pre-Conquest origin, and retains a blocked
doorway with a characteristic Anglo Saxon hood moulding (6). It
was the rectory church of the parish until the mid-15th cent and is now used as a barn (4). In the churchyard are the old stocks (3).
(2-6)


LEONARD STANLEY

B Church of St Swithin

Parish Church. Part of original Norman priory of the Augustinians
1121. Norman S. and W. doorways. Norman arches and capitals. Wood
barrel roof to nave. No aisles. Chancel, decorated ws. C.15
staircase. Stocks in Churchyard.

II Barn (formerly Saxon Church) immediately S.W. of Church

*Remains of Saxon herring-bone wall. Was used as church till mid C15. Decorated w. Poor condition. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1954
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 69, 143
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Gloucestershire
Source details :
Page(s) : 148-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Archaeologia : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Rev C Swynnerton
Page(s) : 199-226
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 71 (1920-21)
Source Number : 5
Source : Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 15-21
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 32 (1909)
Source Number : 6
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : J and HM Taylor
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 27 (1964)
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Stroud, FEB-1948
Page(s) : 19
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 11-Jan-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Stroud, 24-FEB-1987
Page(s) : 59
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 69,163
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C10 or C11
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 901
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1146
Monument Start Date : 1121
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1121 to 1538
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1121
Monument Type : Fishpond
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1146
Monument Type : Benedictine Cell
Evidence : Extant Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in the C17
Monument End Date : 1700
Monument Start Date : 1601
Monument Type : Barn
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : GC 360
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 31928
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 131946
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1171503
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1018606
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 80 SW 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 115107
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 205261
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 115512
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1203294
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 115190
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, PRIORY FARM, LEONARD STANLEY
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, PRIORY FARM, LEONARD STANLEY
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: PRIORY FARM, LEONARD STANLEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31