HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

York Whitefriars

Hob Uid: 1155211
Location :
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE6023052610
Summary : Original location of the Carmelite Friary in the Horsefair. This Friary was established in 1251 outside the North walls of York, and flourished until 1295. However, the location was unsuitable, and in 1295, William de Vescy gave the friars a messuage in Stonebow Lane, in the centre of the city. Excavations in 1972 recovered the plan of the West nave and West half of the chancel, with what may be part of the sacristy to the North of the chancel. There were also associated burials.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Union Terrace : excavations in the Horsefair
Source details :
Page(s) : 5-6,13-15
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.11, fasc.1

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1295
Monument Start Date : 1251
Monument Type : Carmelite Friary, Church, Sacristy
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 65 SW 307
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 534931
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, UNION TERRACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1972-01-01
End Date : 1972-12-31