HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stourton Castle

Hob Uid: 116687
Location :
Staffordshire
South Staffordshire
Kinver
Grid Ref : SO8592084920
Summary : Possibly originated as a hunting lodge in the time of William II, and referred to as the King's House during the reign of Henry II. Restored in 1184-96 and fortified in 1223. The present house incorporates some late medieval and 16th century work , but the building was remodelled and rebuilt 1832-3 by James Foster. The 19th century main front incorporates a late medieval gate tower. The ranges to the south, north and east are 16th century in date and once formed three sides of an open courtyard, roofed over as part of the 1832-3 remodelling.
More information : (SO 85928493) Stourton Castle (NR) (1)

Stourton Castle was largely rebuilt in the 16th-17th centuries with further additions in the early 19th c to which date the present building largely belongs. The earliest reference to the 'King's House' occurs in the reign of Henry II, but it is possible that a hunting lodge existed tempore William II. This may have been on a separate site, since Richard II ordered a new building at Stourton in 1195-6. This was constructed originally in timber. The house was not fortified until 1223. (2-4)

Stourton Castle, a large private residence in good condition. Externally the building is modern or modernised in appearance and is not outstanding. (5)

No change since report of 4 3 74. (6)

Stourton Castle Contains late Mediaeval and C16th work, especially the three-storied gate tower incorporated in the main, West front. C16th ranges to the North South and East enclose a formerly open courtyard which was roofed over by James Foster, to the design of Sir Robert Smirke, during major alterations 1832-3. Two-storied red brick building. Grade II. (7)

Stourton Castle, home of the lords of Kinver. From 1184-96, the sheriff accounted for digging a ditch around the lodge, and rebuilding works. The latter included a timber hall, offices, gaol kitchen and gate. A palisade was added to the ditch, and fishponds dug. By 1222 it had become known as Stourton Castle, and it was fortified 1222-3. During the remodelling of 1832-3, the foundations of two round towers were uncovered some distance to the North-West, which may suggest a bailey or court. (8)

Listed as a vanished castle by Cathcart King. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" undated.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 977-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : A Short History of Stourton Castle 1919 42-7 plan (G and RM Grazebrook)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : North Staffordshire journal of field studies
Source details : N Staffs Journ of Field Studies 6 1966 45
Page(s) : 45
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 04-MAR-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ASP 28-APR-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) South Staffordshire Dec-1987 57
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : A history of the county of Stafford: volume XX: Seisdon Hundred (part)
Source details :
Page(s) : 130-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 452
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : William II
Monument End Date : 1100
Monument Start Date : 1087
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Documented 1184-96
Monument End Date : 1196
Monument Start Date : 1184
Monument Type : Gaol, Kitchen, Hall House, Fishpond, Gate, Palisade, Hunting Lodge, Timber Framed Building, Fortified House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Fortified 1223
Monument End Date : 1223
Monument Start Date : 1223
Monument Type : Fortified House, Castle
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Fortified House, Castle, Gate Tower
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C16
Monument End Date : 1599
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Courtyard House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1832-3
Monument End Date : 1833
Monument Start Date : 1832
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 407320
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 88 SE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 88 SE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-03-04
End Date : 1974-03-04
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 88 SE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-04-28
End Date : 1976-04-28