HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Old Sarum Cathedral

Hob Uid: 1197111
Location :
Wiltshire
Salisbury
Grid Ref : SU1367432789
Summary : A Medieval cathedral and close situated within the northwest section of the bailey at Old Sarum Castle. The cathedral was first constructed between 1078-92 AD and comprised an apsidal east end, narrow north and south aisles and an aisled nave. Between circa 1110-25 the east end of the cathedral was enlarged to comprise an aisled presbytery, three chapels, a tower and aisled north and south transepts. This phase may have also included construction of the cloister. The Bishops Palace was constructed between 1102-39 and comprised four ranges enclosing a courtyard. Further additions at the western end of the cathedral took place between circa 1142 and 1200. The cathedral is situated in the centre of the Close which was bounded on the east by a bank, to the south by a road and to the northwest by the hillfort defences. The canons cemetery has been identified to the south of the Cathedral, with a lay cemetery situated further to the south and east. The cloister and bishops palace are both situated to the northeast. A number of buildings including a possible deanery were present to the southwest and west of the cathedral. The siting of the cathedral within the bailey of the castle eventually caused conflict between the castle and ecclesiastical authorities, leading to the removal of the cathedral to Salisbury (New Sarum) in 1219. A chapel in the cathedral remained in use at Old Sarum. From 1331 stonework from the cathedral was removed for the construction of a range of buildings in Salisbury including the precinct wall to Salisbury Cathedral. The site is Scheduled and in the care of the Secretary of State.
More information : A Medieval cathedral and close situated within the northwest section of the bailey at Old Sarum Castle. The cathedral was first constructed between 1078-92 AD and comprised an apsidal east end, narrow north and south aisles and an aisled nave. Between circa 1110-25 the east end of the cathedral was enlarged to comprise an aisled presbytery, three chapels, a tower and aisled north and south transepts. This phase may have also included construction of the cloister. The Bishops Palace was constructed between 1102-39 and comprised four ranges enclosing a courtyard. Further additions at the western end of the cathedral took place between circa 1142 and 1200. The cathedral is situated in the centre of the Close which was bounded on the east by a bank, to the south by a road and to the northwest by the hillfort defences. The canons cemetery has been identified to the south of the Cathedral, with a lay cemetery situated further to the south and east. The cloister and bishops palace are both situated to the northeast. A number of buildings including a possible deanery were present to the southwest and west of the cathedral. The siting of the cathedral within the bailey of the castle eventually caused conflict between the castle and ecclesiastical authorities, leading to the removal of the cathedral to Salisbury (New Sarum) in 1219. A chapel in the cathedral remained in use at Old Sarum. From 1331 stonework from the cathedral was removed for the construction of a range of buildings in Salisbury including the precinct wall to Salisbury Cathedral. The site is Scheduled and in the care of the Secretary of State. (1-4)

A re-examination of the published excavations of 1909-15 has led to a reappraisal of the buildings to the north of the cathedral. While the cloister requires re-excavation to arrive at a final dating, much of its meaning and the source for its construction can be said to have come from the enclosed bishop's palace to the north, by Bishop Osmund in the closing decades of the 11th century. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ministry of Works. 1950. Old Sarum Guide
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 03-Jul-97
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : A note on the twelfth century sculpture from Old Sarum Cathedral
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ancient and historical monuments in the city of Salisbury: volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 15-24
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 48-70
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 159, 2006
Source Number :
Source : SU 13 SW 30 (Old Sarum) (1965)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : SU 13 SW 30 (Old Sarum) (1965)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1078-92
Monument End Date : 1092
Monument Start Date : 1078
Monument Type : Cathedral, Cathedral Close, Inhumation Cemetery, College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1102-39
Monument End Date : 1139
Monument Start Date : 1102
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Partly rebuilt c1110-25
Monument End Date : 1125
Monument Start Date : 1110
Monument Type : Cathedral, Cloister
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extended c1142-1200
Monument End Date : 1200
Monument Start Date : 1142
Monument Type : Cathedral, Deanery
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Moved in 1219
Monument End Date : 1219
Monument Start Date : 1219
Monument Type : Cathedral, Cathedral Close, College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : NMR 4117/15
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 297
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 318843
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 26715
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Guardianship Number
External Cross Reference Number : 469
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : NMR 4117/14
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 13 SW 150
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 217714
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 218530
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1197078
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 660752
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1796-01-01
End Date : 1796-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1835-01-01
End Date : 1835-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1854-01-01
End Date : 1854-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1909-01-01
End Date : 1915-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1957-01-01
End Date : 1957-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1963-01-01
End Date : 1963-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1964-01-01
End Date : 1964-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM, WEST GATE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1969-01-01
End Date : 1969-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1987-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT OLD SARUM
Activity type : MANAGEMENT SURVEY
Start Date : 1990-01-01
End Date : 1990-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, OLD SARUM LANDSCAPES
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2014-01-01
End Date : 2017-12-31