HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Regents Park Barracks

Hob Uid: 1201740
Location :
Greater London Authority
Camden
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ2878983171
Summary : Army barracks situated on the east side of Regents Park which were constructed in 1820-21as cavalry barracks for the Lifeguards and Artillery as part of John Nash's original design for Regent's Park. Nash had originally intended the barracks to be situated in the northern area of the park, well away from the residential area and separated from the rest of the park by Regent's Canal. However, Nash's plan was not accepted in its entirety by the Crown with one of the changes involving a change in the location of the barracks to its present site.Originally designed to house 450 officers and men and 400 horses the barracks were almost entirely rebuilt in 1891-93. The rebuilding followed the original general layout, and carried out under the supervision of Colonel R. Athorpe. The layout comprises a complex of buildings arranged around a parade ground. The only building to survive from the original barracks is the Officers' Mess which was built in 1820-21 (Monument HOB UID 1510165) and is situated on the east side of the parade ground. Other buildings at the northern end of the site include the Gothic chapel which was built in 1857 and the hospital which was built in 1877. Three parallel blocks used for soldiers accomodation and stables, service buildings and the riding school were all built in 1891.
More information : Regents Park barracks were designed as park of Nash's scheme for Regents Park and were intended to house 450 officers and men and 400 horses. The barracks were almost entirely rebuilt in 1891-3, following the original general layout, under Colonel R. Athorpe. The layout of the complex has the buildings arranged around a parade ground.

The Officers' Mess (Monument HOB UID 1510165) is the only building of the original barracks development to survive the rebuilding. Other buildings in the barracks include the Gothic Chapel situated north of the Officers' mess and built in 1857, the former hospital at the north end built in 1877, three parallel blocks to the south for soldiers and stables built in 1891, service buildings, built in 1891 and the riding school built 1891, now a garage, with steel trussed roof. (1-2)

The barracks were constructed in 1820-21as cavalry barracks for the Lifeguards and Artillery as part of John Nash's original design for Regent's Park. Nash had originally intended the barracks to be situated in the northern area of the park, well away from the residential area and separated from the rest of the park by Regent's Canal. However, Nash's plan was not accepted in its entirety by the Crown with one of the changes including a change in the location of the barracks to its present site. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Camden
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 798
Source Number : 2
Source : London, 4 : North
Source details :
Page(s) : 355
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Regents Park A study of the Development of the Area from 1086 to the Present Day
Source details :
Page(s) : 83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1820-21
Monument End Date : 1821
Monument Start Date : 1820
Monument Type : Barracks, Parade Ground
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1857
Monument End Date : 1857
Monument Start Date : 1857
Monument Type : Barracks, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1877
Monument End Date : 1877
Monument Start Date : 1877
Monument Type : Hospital, Barracks
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1891-93
Monument End Date : 1893
Monument Start Date : 1891
Monument Type : Barracks, Stable, Riding School
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 99212
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 28 SE 399
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1510165
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14