HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lowther Castle

Hob Uid: 12159
Location :
Cumbria
Eden
Lowther
Grid Ref : NY5220023850
Summary : Medieval tower house with a second tower constructed during the 1570s. The house was rebuilt and extended between 1628-1664 but partly demolished in 1692 when a new house was erected. The upper floor and east wing of this house were destroyed by fire in 1718. A number of minor extensions were added in 1802. The present house was constructed 1806-14 but was not completed. It incorporates the surviving 17th century wings and the 1802 additions. The house was closed in 1935, and gutted in 1957.
More information : (NY 52202385) Lowther Castle (NAT) (1)

The medieval manor house of the Lowther family consisted of a peel of three storeys on the east, a hall, great chamber and at the west end a tower built in the 1570s. Between 1628 and 1664 it was transformed by rebuilding and extensions by Sir John Lowther and his son and Alexander Pogmire. Except for the wings, the old house was demolished in 1692 and a new mansion in red sandstone was erected by Edward Addison. The upper storey and most of the east or chapel wing was destroyed by fire in 1718. Small additions were made in 1802 by adding new kitchens and offices. The present house of picturesque composition with turrets and central tower was built, but unfinished, in 1806-14 by Robert Smirke incorporating the surviving C17 wings and kitchen block of 1802. The house was closed in 1935, the roofs were removed and the interior gutted in 1957. (2-3)

Lowther Castle. Country house built as a sham castle, now a ruin without a roof. 1806-14 on site of medieval hall, by Robert Smirke. (4)

Documentary history of the house with plan and illustrations. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1973
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (M H Port)
Page(s) : 123-36
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 81 (1981)
Source Number : 3
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (M H Port)
Page(s) : 191-204
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 84 (1984)
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) District of Eden, Cumbria. 1st September, 1987, 49
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Cumbria (1985)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 9
Source Number : 6
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 290-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Circa 1350
Monument End Date : 1360
Monument Start Date : 1340
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C16
Monument End Date : 1532
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Tower House, Hall House, Fortified Manor House
Evidence :
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Hall rebuilt 1630
Monument End Date : 1630
Monument Start Date : 1630
Monument Type : Hall House, Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Towers demolished 1692
Monument End Date : 1692
Monument Start Date : 1692
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Partly destroyed by fire 1718
Monument End Date : 1718
Monument Start Date : 1718
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Ruined Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1806-14
Monument End Date : 1814
Monument Start Date : 1806
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Closed in 1935
Monument End Date : 1935
Monument Start Date : 1935
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Gutted in 1957
Monument End Date : 1957
Monument Start Date : 1957
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 87990
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 74345
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 52 SW 27
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1582089
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 1070255
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT LOWTHER CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT LOWTHER CASTLE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, THE SCULPTURE GALLERY, LOWTHER CASTLE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31