HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Naworth Castle

Hob Uid: 12649
Location :
Cumbria
Carlisle
Brampton
Grid Ref : NY5598062590
Summary : Castle, possibly originating in the late 13th century, consisting of a square keep and bailey with residential quarters added in the 16th century. It is likely that an eighteenth century walled garden overlies the filled moat. First mentioned in 1323, licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower hose (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; 18th and 19th century west and south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of two storeys, nine bays, has flanking three storey, one bay towers, with battlemented parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has a large 16th century pointed arch, with recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but engaged, Morpeth Tower of two storeys, two bays: hall of two storeys, nine bays, has raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square 2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes. Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead. West range, three storeys, six bays, is of similar details, formerly kitchens and servants quarters, now let as flats.
More information : (NY 5598 6259) Naworth Castle (GT)
Lord William's Tower (GT)
Dacre Tower (GT) (1)

Built 1335. A square keep (Dacre Tower) projects at the south-west corner of a trapezoidal bailey. Residential and service quarters, rebuilt in the 16th century and much modernised, are ranged against the curtain round a central courtyard. A turret rising above the battlements at one corner of the keep served the purpose of both watch-tower and beacon. (2)

In good repair and in use as a private residence with flats. See photographs. A block on the NW side, added in the 19th century, has been demolished by the present Earl of Carlisle, the owner. (3)

Naworth Castle. Grade I. Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in 1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square 2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes. Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar details, formerly kitchens and servants quarters, now let as flats. Interior has wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J. Ferguson, with painted gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boeham, 1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. The oratory contains part of a screen from Lanercost Priory with crocketed ogee panels and a German painting dated 1514, representing the Flagellation, Crucifixion and Resurrection. Dacre Tower has ground floor iron yett. (4)

Listed by Cathcart King. (5)

Additional reference. (6)

Listed with plan. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The castles of Great Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 206
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 DS 07-DEC-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : City of Carlisle, Cumbria: 16.1.84
Page(s) : 19-20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (Old Series)
Page(s) : 486-509
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4
Source Number : 4b
Source : Country Life
Source details : 25.3.1911
Page(s) : 414-22
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 89
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1
Source Number : 6
Source : Ordnance Survey guide to castles in Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 172
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 166-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Quadrangular Castle, Bailey, Keep, Angle Tower, Moat, Castle
Evidence : Extant Building, Sub Surface Deposit, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C16
Monument End Date : 1599
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Country House, Private Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1602
Monument End Date : 1602
Monument Start Date : 1602
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1845
Monument End Date : 1845
Monument Start Date : 1845
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1881
Monument End Date : 1881
Monument Start Date : 1881
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1982
Monument End Date : 1982
Monument Start Date : 1982
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 77855
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 56 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1108764
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1108761
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1108763
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 56 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-12-07
End Date : 1971-12-07