HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Molineux

Hob Uid: 1301171
Location :
City Of Wolverhampton
City Of Wolverhampton
City Of Wolverhampton
Grid Ref : SO9126299164
Summary : Before Wolves arrival in 1899 the Molineux Grounds had, for twenty years or more, served as a central focus for sport and leisure in the town. Molineux's inaugural game as Wolves' home ground was a friendly v Aston Villa on 2 September 1899 in which the ground saw two covers being added to the existing 300 seat grandstand on Waterloo Road. The first terrace development was in 1911, when a roof was built over half the north end, and was soon dubbed the 'Cowshed'. In 1923-5, under the guidance of Archibald Leitch, the 1899 Waterloo Road side terrace cover was transferred to the Molineux Street side. Leitch meanwhile built a new Main Stand on Waterloo Road. During the early 1930s the Cowshed came down so that the North Bank could be remodelled. In 1932 a new stand was built along Molineux Street with 3,450 seats, and room for 4,500 standing. A roof was added to the rear of the South Bank in 1935, and was itself extended to hold an estimated 30,000 fans. Molineux barely changed over the decades, until it was designated under the 1975 Safety of Sports Grounds Act. The chief casualty was the Molineux Street Stand which was replaced by the John Ireland Stand in August 1979. After the Bradford fire in 1985, the local authority closed down the North Bank terrace and the Waterloo Road Stand. In July 1986. Wolves went into receivership and safety officials threatened closure of the South Bank. The club were saved by the actions of Wolverhampton Metropolitan Council and in April 1991 Sir Jack Haywood took over the club and ground. Molineux's rebirth began in October 1991 when the North Bank was demolished to make way for the Stan Cullis Stand which opened in August 1992. Phase two had already begun by then, with the demolition of the Waterloo Road Stand to be replaced by the Billy Wright Stand, opened in August 1993. Again, while this went up, the vast South Bank was cleared in mid-1993 to be replaced by Jack Harris stand. The new ground opened on 7 Dec 1993.
More information : Before Wolves' arrival in 1899 the Molineux Grounds had, for twenty years or more, served as a central focus for sport and leisure in the town. Molineux's inaugural game as Wolves' home ground was a friendly v Aston Villa on 2 September 1899 in which the ground saw two covers being added to the existing 300 seat grandstand on Waterloo Road. The first terrace development was in 1911, when a roof was built over half the north end, and was soon dubbed the 'Cowshed'. In 1923-5, under the guidance of Archibald Leitch, the 1899 Waterloo Road side terrace cover was transfered to the Molineux Street side. Leitch meanwhile built a new Main Stand on Waterloo Road. During the early 1930s the Cowshed came down so that the North Bank could be remodelled. In 1932 a new stand was built along Molineux Street with 3,450 seats, and room for 4,500 standing. A roof was added to the rear of the South Bank in 1935, and was itself extended to hold an estimated 30,000 fans. Molineux barely changed over the decades, until it was designated under the 1975 Safety of Sports Grounds Act. The chief casualty was the Molineux Street Stand which was replaced by the John Ireland Stand in August 1979. After the Bradford fire in 1985, the local authority closed down the North Bank terrace and the Waterloo Road Stand. In July 1986. Wolves went into receivership and safety officials threatened closure of the South Bank. The club were saved by the actions of Wolverhampton Metropolitan Council and in April 1991 Sir Jack Haywood took over the club and ground. Molineux's rebirth began in October 1991 when the North Bank was demolished to make way for the Stan Cullis Stand which opened in August 1992. Phase two had already begun by then, with the demolition of the Waterloo Road Stand to be replaced by the Billy Wright Stand, opened in August 1993. Again, while this went up, the vast South Bank was cleared in mid-1993 to be replaced by Jack Harris stand. The new ground opened on 7 Dec 1993. (1-3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Football grounds of Britain
Source details :
Page(s) : 406-13
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wolverhampton Civic Society. 1992. Historic Buildings of Wolverhampton
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Engineering Archie : Archibald Leitch - football ground designer
Source details : http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/books/engineering-archie.php
Page(s) : 160-165
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Opened in 1899
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1899
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence, Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1911
Monument End Date : 1911
Monument Start Date : 1911
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1923-25
Monument End Date : 1925
Monument Start Date : 1923
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1932
Monument End Date : 1932
Monument Start Date : 1932
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : 1930s
Monument End Date : 1939
Monument Start Date : 1930
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : 1935
Monument End Date : 1935
Monument Start Date : 1935
Monument Type : Football Ground, Football Terrace
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1979
Monument End Date : 1979
Monument Start Date : 1979
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1991-92
Monument End Date : 1992
Monument Start Date : 1991
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1992-93
Monument End Date : 1993
Monument Start Date : 1992
Monument Type : Football Ground, Grandstand
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 99 NW 68
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : OLD GOLD BRIDGE PROJECT
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31