HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Blakeney Guildhall

Hob Uid: 131275
Location :
Norfolk
North Norfolk
Blakeney
Grid Ref : TG0282044070
Summary : The now ruined Blakeney Guildhall was built in the 14th or 15th centuries and may originally have been a merchant's house. It is thought to have been used as a guildhall in the later medieval period. Today, the site consists of a vaulted rectangular undercroft constructed from brick, and above this, the ruined remains of the flint and brick walls of the upper storey. At the southern end of the east wall is a projecting rectangular structure which contains the remains of the garderobe shute from the upper level. The undercroft consists of four bays to either side of a central row of octagonal stone columns which support the ribbed vaults and is lit by three windows. The walls of the upper storey stand to a maximum height of two metres and the remains of the eastern wall include parts of the stone sills of three window openings and the brick and stone jambs of the opening to the garderobe chamber. Today the site is managed by Blakeney Parish Council.
More information : (TG 02814407) Guildhall (NR) (1)

A C15th, Grade II building, of which only the ground stage remains. Vaulted. (2)

A history board hanging in the undercroft, stated it is of C14th date. Divided into 2 aisles by stone piers and covered by rib vaulting of brick; the door and windows are original. Well preserved and in outstanding condition. See ground photographs. (3)

The medieval building known as the Guildhall is set into the slope of the Mariners Hill to the east of the High Street. The monument includes the rectangular undercroft of the building, and above the undercroft, the ruined remains of the walls of the upper storey. At the southern end of the east wall is a projecting rectangular structure which contains the remains of the garderobe shute from the upper level. The walls of the building, which is also Listed Grade II* and has been dated to the 15th century, are constructed of flint with freestone dressings and some brick. The undercroft is vaulted in brick with four bays to either side of a central row of octagonal stone columns which support the ribbed vaults. It is lit by three internally splayed windows with stone surrounds set in the east wall and is entered by a door with stone moulded jambs and arch head in the north wall. Three steps lead down to the cobbled floor, which is circa 0.5 metres below the level of the ground surface outside. The walls of the upper storey stand to a maximum height of 2 metres and the remains of the eastern wall include parts of the stone sills of three window openings and the brick and stone jambs of the opening to the garderobe chamber. On the east side of the building, part of the foundation of the wall is exposed, the original ground surface level being marked by a clearly visible change in construction. The traditional name of the Guildhall may reflect its later use, but this structure was probably built originally as the house of a merchant, at a time when Blakeney was the third most important port in Norfolk after Yarmouth and Lynn. (4)

The now ruined Blakeney Guildhall was built in the 14th or 15th centuries and may have originally been a merchant's house. It is thought to have been used as a guildhall in the later medieval period. Today, the remains of the walls exist above ground and the brick vaulted undercroft is in excellent condition. (5)

The site is listed in the English Heritage Visitor Handbook 2009/10. It is managed by Blakeney Parish Council. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1887
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : North Norfolk, 15-FEB-1979
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 942
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : First OS Archaeology Field Investigator 05/03/1976
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 22-Jul-95
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Norfolk Heritage Explorer: Blakeney Guildhall, , [accessed 09-JUN-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : English Heritage Visitor Handbook 2009/10
Source details :
Page(s) : 136
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Converted later in the medieval period
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Guildhall
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built in C14 or C15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1301
Monument Type : Merchants House, Undercroft
Evidence : Ruined Building, Subterranean Feature, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NF 119
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 6133
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21387
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 222902
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 7
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TG 04 SW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TG 04 SW 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-03-05
End Date : 1976-03-05