HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Mary Of Carrow Priory

Hob Uid: 132320
Location :
Norfolk
Norwich
Norwich
Grid Ref : TG2426007430
Summary : Benedictine nunnery founded 1146 dissolved 1536 excavated and consolidated 1881.
More information : (TG 24260743) Remains of ST. MARY'S PRIORY (NR)(Benedictine Nuns Founded AD 1146)
(TG 24180748) GATE HOUSE (NR) (remains of) (named but not shown)
(TG 24310735) HOSPITAL (NR) (remains of) (1)

Begun in 1146 by two sisters of the Benedictine nunnery of St. Mary and St John (said to lie within the city) to whom King Stephen had donated land for the new priory outside the city. The new priory was dedicated to St. Mary of Carhowe. The suppression commissioners reported that there were 8 religious, with 2 priests and 15 others living in the priory. The Priory was dissolved in 1536 and the site and revenues were granted in 1538 to Sir John Shelton. The penultimate prioress, Isabel Wygan had built for herself a house to the west of the cloister (TG 20 NW 294), the remaining buildings fell into ruins and were excavated and laid out in 1881. (2-5)

The remains of the Priory are situated within the grounds of Reckitt & Colman's works. The walls, as shown on 1:1250 are of flint averaging 1.5m thick and up to 4.0m. high. The remains of the gatehouse consists of a single brick wall 4.0m. long, 0.4m. wide and 1.8m. high on a slight eminence. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:1250 1968
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Norf 4 1806 515-9 (F Blomefield)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Norfolk: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 351-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : E P L Brock
Page(s) : 165-177
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 38, 1882
Source Number : 5
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : E Fernie
Page(s) : 290-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 137, 1980
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JHO 25-JUN-54
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 262
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1146
Monument Type : Benedictine Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 0296N
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NF 33
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 296
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TG 20 NW 64
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : CARROW PRIORY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1881-01-01
End Date : 1881-12-31
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TG 20 NW 61
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1954-06-25
End Date : 1954-06-25
Associated Activities : CARROW ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : CARROW PRIORY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1981-01-01
End Date : 1981-12-31