HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Faiths Priory

Hob Uid: 132901
Location :
Norfolk
Broadland
Horsham St. Faith And Newton St. Faith
Grid Ref : TG2158515170
Summary : Remains of Benedictine Priory of St Mary the Virgin. The original site was at Kirkscroft, 1 mile to the W. but it was soon moved to Horsham. Founded circa1105 as an Alien Priory, became Independent in 1390 and was finally dissolved in 1536. There was a prior and 8 monks in 1391, formerly there was a prior and 12 monks. In 1970 excavations were carried out in three rooms of Abbey farmhouse, formerly the Frater. These showed that the Priory experienced 3 phases of construction before being converted to a house in the 16th century. The claustral ranges were originally built of flint and puddingstone in the 12th century; the pulpit was rebuilt and Sedilia arches were erected in the 13th century; during the 14th and 15th centuries the frater was shortened and made narrower, the floor in the lobby to the west of the frater was tiled and the lavatorium rebuilt. After dissolution in the 16th century conversion to a house was made and further conversions took place from the 17th century onwards, when buttresses were added to the south side and alterations and additions made on the north west side.
More information : St. Faith's Priory (G.T.) (Remains of)
St. Faith's Ch.(urch) (G.T.) (Site of) TG 21611513. (1)

The original site was at Kirkscroft, 1 mile to the W. but it was soon moved to Horsham. Founded c.1105 as an Alien Priory, became Independent in 1390 and was finally dissolved in 1536. There was a prior and 8 monks in 1391, formerly there was a prior and 12 monks. Benedictine Priory. (2)

Abbey Farm (TG 21601516) includes extensive remains of this Priory in its fabric, in the form of blocked windows, arches and doors. An enclosed garden to the south of the farm also has much early material in its body. See photographs. There are no extant remains of the published site of the chapel which is now a burial ground. (3)

In 1970 excavations were carried out in three rooms of Abbey farmhouse, formerly the Frater. These showed that the Priory experienced 3 phases of construction before being converted to a house in the 16th century. The Claustral ranges were originally built of flint and puddingstone in the 12th century; the pulpit was rebuilt and Sedilia arches were erected in the 13th century; during the 14th and 15th centuries the frater was shortened and made narrower, the floor in the lobby to the west of the frater was tiled and the lavatorium rebuilt. After dissolution in the 16th century conversion to a house was made and further conversions took place from the 17th century onwards, when buttresses were added to the south side and alterations and additions made on the north west side.
See plans. Abbey Farm including barn are Grade I. (4,5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1905-48
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 68
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 10-JUL-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Norfolk archaeology : a journal of archaeology and local history
Source details : D Sherlock
Page(s) : 202-23,386
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 36, 1976-7
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) St Faiths & Aylsham Norf Jan 1947 20
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 68
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1390
Monument Start Date : 1105
Monument Type : Benedictine Alien Cell, Cloister, Refectory, Lavatorium
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1390
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery, Cloister, Refectory, Lavatorium
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 8005
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NF 285
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 228083
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 228082
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TG 21 NW 10
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TG 21 NW 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-07-10
End Date : 1969-07-10
Associated Activities : ST FAITH'S PRIORY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1970-01-01
End Date : 1970-12-31
Associated Activities : ST FAITH'S PRIORY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : ST FAITHS PRIORY
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31