HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Royal Air Force Training College Cranwell

Hob Uid: 1392869
Location :
Lincolnshire
North Kesteven
Cranwell, Brauncewell and Byard's Leap, North Rauceby
Grid Ref : TF0010049000
Summary : A military airfield, originally opened in 1916 as a RNAS base (HMS Daedalus). In 1929-1933 the airfield became an important RAF training college; Royal Air Force College Cranwell, which is the Royal Air Force's equivalent of Sandhurst. The First World War airfield had been first used by the Royal Naval Air Service, for fixed wing and airships. It had hutted accommodation at West Camp. In 1918 a Training Depot Station for the Royal Flying Corps as well as a Radio Training School were established at the site. The training college was built between 1929 and 1933 (for details see TF 04 NW 39 and TF 04 NW 40). The cadet training college was intended as a self contained site situated north of the B1429 road. New domestic buildings replaced the old hutting at West Camp in 1933-1934 (for the extant examples of this phase see SK 94 NE 30, SK 94NE 31 and TF 04 NW 41). The airfield and its buildings are considered to have been well planned and designed to a high standard, in response to the recommendations of the Royal Fine Art Commission made in 1932.The airfield has two flying fields, one near the college to the north of the B1429 road (Cranwell North), and another to the south of the road (Cranewell South). During the Second World War the airfield to the north had grass landing surfaces, whilst the south landing strips were a mixture of grass with some asphalt. There were two Type C, four Bellman and five Blister aircraft hangars. Accommodation was located mainly on the north site. The wartime Radio School was located on the south site. In the course of the war the base was used by a number of training units and also functioned as a supplies depot. By December 1944 there were 10,766 personnel stationed at the base. Post -war the training function continued. The south flying field was updated in 1954 with concrete runways and apron to allow use by Meteor and Vampire jet aircraft. New technical and domestic buildings were constructed between 1960 and 1964.
More information : RAFC Cranwell, Cranwell and Byards Leap, Lincolnshire,TF 00 49. The airfield had been first used by the Royal Naval Air Service, with hutted accommodation at West Camp. Then in 1918 a Training Depot Station for the Royal Air Force was established at the site; in that year a Radio Training School was also based at Cranfield. In 1929 the site was renamed Royal Air Force College: however due to costing and logistical problems the building of the actual college was not completed until 1933. The cadet training college was intended as a self contained site situated north of the B1429 road, it became the Royal Air Force's equivalent of Sandhurst. New domestic buildings replaced the old hutting at West Camp in 1933-1934. The airfield and its buildings are considered to have been well planned and designed to a high standard, in response to the recommendations of the Royal Fine Art Commission made presented in 1932. The airfield has two flying fields, one near the college to the north of the B1429 road, and another to the south of the road. T E Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") was stationed at Cranwell between 1925-1935 and his experiences there are recorded in his 1936 book "The Mint". Some of the college and airfield buildings have been recommended for consideration for potential future Listed Building status. (1-2)

Cranwell Airfield: Lincolnshire, TF 015 490. For much of WWI it was a naval base, The Royal Naval Air Service Central Training Establishment. During the Second World War the airfield to the north had grass landing surfaces, that to the south had grass with some asphalt. Accommodation was located on the north site. The wartime Radio School was located on the south site. In the course of the war the base was used by a number of training units and also functioned as a supplies depot. By December 1944 there were 10,766 personnel stationed at the base. Post -war the training function continued. The south flying field was updated in 1954 with concrete runways and apron to allow use by Meteor and Vampire jet aircraft. New technical and domestic buildings were constructed between 1960 and 1964. His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales attended flying training courses here in 1970. (3)

Cranwell North TF 025 515, Cranwell South TF 015 488. In 1944 the aircraft hangars were listed as two Type C, eight seaplane sheds type F, four Bellman and Four Blister types. Personnel strength given as 8929 men and 1835 on 01-DEC-1944. (4)

Cranwell Airfield, (south flying field) TF 011 490, west end of RAF College TF 0005 4900, east end of college complex SK 9982 4990. Airfield (north flying field) TF 012 509 (NAT). See OS sheets TF 04 NW, TF 05 SW and SK 94 NE. (5-6)

Cranwell Airfield is seen as the spiritual home of the RAF. The airfield was established in 1916 as HMS Daedalus and fixed wing and airships were stationed there. For a detailed description of the site including plans and photographs please refer to this source. (7)

For a timeline of Cranwell please refer to this source. (8)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : English Heritage Thematic Listing Programme, May 2003: "Survey of Military Aviation Sites and Structures Summary Report", Annexe 1, unpaged.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dobinson CS 1998: "Royal Air Force Cranwell", English Heritage.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : MJF Bowyer, 2000: "Action Stations Revisited: The Complete History of Britains Military Airfields" No1 Eastern England, pp130-135.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Military airfields in the British Isles 1939-1945
Source details :
Page(s) : 56-57
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:10000, 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:10000, 1984
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Military Airfields of Britain. East Midlands, Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 106-109
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : RAF Cranwell Apprentices Association. 2009. Outline history of RAF Cranwell, [Accessed 19-JUL-2010]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : College built 1929-1933
Monument End Date : 1933
Monument Start Date : 1929
Monument Type : Military College
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Expanded 1933-1934
Monument End Date : 1934
Monument Start Date : 1933
Monument Type : Barracks
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Updated 1957
Monument End Date : 1957
Monument Start Date : 1957
Monument Type : Runway
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Additions 1960-1964
Monument End Date : 1964
Monument Start Date : 1960
Monument Type : Military Building
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : Opened 1916
Monument End Date : 1916
Monument Start Date : 1916
Monument Type : Military Airfield, Military Training Site, Airship Station
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : World War II
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Military Airfield, Structure, Military College, Aircraft Hangar (Type C), Blister Aircraft Hangar, Bellman Aircraft Hangar, Seaplane Shed (Type F)
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 04 NW 38
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1465999
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1392909
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1392937
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1392954
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1392970
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1392976
Relationship type :

Related Activities :