HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Palace Farmhouse

Hob Uid: 1397493
Location :
Kent
Ashford
Charing
Grid Ref : TQ9541649445
Summary : The present Palace Farmhouse forms part of the north range of the former manor house of the Archbishops of Canterbury and includes part of the former chapel. Built between 1293 and 1313 with 16th and 18th century alterations, the building is L-shaped in plan and three storeys high. The ground and first floor are constructed from stone rubble and flint whilst the second floor is of brick, all three floors with long and short ashlar quoins under a hipped tiled roof. There is one early 16th century window of two-lights, with four-centred heads and a dripstone over. The other windows are 18th century sash or casement windows of many panes. To the east is a further recessed wing of two storeys and one window, wholly faced with brick with one window with a four-centred head. At the south-west angle is a portion of a ruined wall containing a pointed doorway. There is a date tablet of 1586 above the window by the south-east angle.Henry VIII acquired the palace through exchange with Cranmer in 1545. There is no evidence that he made any alterations to the buildings, and no subsequent monarch made any use of the manor house, but let it out to farm. In 1559 Archbishop Parker made an attempt to become the tenant and farmer of the estate, but he was outbid by Sir Richard Sackville, and the estate passed into private ownership.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Ashford, 10-OCT-1980
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1155

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1219-1313
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Archbishops Palace, Private Chapel, Manor House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Change of use in 1545
Monument End Date : 1545
Monument Start Date : 1545
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in 1586
Monument End Date : 1586
Monument Start Date : 1586
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 180769
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 94 NE 62
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :