HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Curricks

Hob Uid: 14111
Location :
Northumberland
Northumberland
Hartleyburn
Grid Ref : NY6374061220
Summary : Earthwork remains of a Romano-British enclosed settlement with an outer enclosure; possibly reused as a Medieval farmstead. Scheduled. The earthwork remains of this settlement and enclosure were mapped from aerial photographs.
More information : [NY 63746122] Camp [O.E.] (1)

NY 637613 The Curricks. A double banked enclosure with medial ditch.
The interior has at least two yards or pens, and faint traces of
rectangular buildings. On the east, the ditch has been mutilated by a
later boundary ditch and upcast dyke which runs towards the site on
the N.E. and picks up again at the S.E. corner. Large kerbstones are
visible at the outurn by the entrance. The site probably represents
the remains of a medieval or later farm. (2) Scheduled under Camps & Settlements(3). (2-3)

Generally as described, but in poor condition. Revised at 6" scale.
Enlargement on illustration card. (4)

NY 63746121 "The Curricks" is situated about 240.0m OD on
gently sloping south-facing rough pastureland. (See 1:1250 Plan).
It has been "scooped" out of a slight north-south slope and consists
of a near rectangular double banked enclosure with medial ditch
measuring about 73.0m north-south by 60.0m east-west between the
ditch centres. Where best preserved (in the north) the turf-covered
stony banks are about 4.0m wide and 1.0m high with the ditch 2.0m
wide and 0.5m deep. It seems very doubtful if the ditch continued on
the east side; it could have been completely filled in but it seems
more likely that this side was formed by a wall or rampart (probably
about 4.0m wide) now severely robbed and mutilated and visible as a
turf-covered slope on the insde and several large intermittent
earthfast stones of the outer face. Central to this east side the
remains of the only apparent entrance are still clearly visible,
defined on its south side by several earthfast stones.
Inside the enclosure the remains of two definite platforms
'A' and 'B' are visible in the east and west corners respectively,
both set up against the inner bank at the highest part of the
interior. A turf-covered rubble wall (about 2.5m wide, 0.3m high)
bisects the interior between these platforms continuing southwards
to join a roughly rectangular similarly walled enclosure 'C' to the
immediate south of the entrance.
To the west of this enclosure are the remains of a rather ill-defined
platform 'D'. In the southwest corner is a shallow near circular damp
hollow ('E') about 8.0m in diameter 0.4m maximum depth.
Outside the enclosure (on the east side north of the entrance) a
sub-divided rectangular building 'F' probably a shieling now visible
as turf-covered stony foundations measuring 10.5m north-south by
5.0m transversely, is set into the bank. At this point the enclosure
is joined by a double ditch and bank running off in a northerly
direction for about 50.0m and which then turns to the west
and continues as a single bank and outer ditch for about 110.0m
fading out on the steep slopes of a natural gulley.
From the southwest corner of the enclosure another bank and outer
ditch continues southwards for about 133.0m; then this too turns
towards the west for about 88.0m mainly visible as a shallow ditch
before it peters out in the same natural gulley. It has been
destroyed here by deep ploughing for a plantation but it too
probably continued northwards to join up with the ditch and bank in
the north forming an outer enclosure to the main one.
There is no trace of any associated cultivation in the area but see
NY 66 SW 13.
Although adapted and utilised as a probable Medieval farmstead the
main enclosure is unquestionably an Iron Age/Romano British settlement.
Surveyed at 1:10 000 with enlargement at 1:1250. (5)

The earthwork remains of the Curricks IA/Roman enclosed farmstead were seen centred at NY 6374 6122 and mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hadrian's Wall NMP project. Aerial photographs taken in 1946 show a number of large ditch defined enclosures extending to the West, south and north of the main settlement enclosure. These extend into the area now covered by forestry. These enclosures appear to form a group of at least 3 conjoined fields. The combined settlement and its larger enclosures covers and area of c. 375m x 585m.

This site is remarkably similar in form and size to a possible IA/Roman farmstead identified through aerial photographs some 2800m to the NW (NY66SW 71) on the northern side of Denton Fell.

To the south of the main enclosures described above is a scooped hollow at NY 6346 6082 which has been described as an enclosure of uncertain date (SMR 10053, NMR NY66SW 12). (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" (Prov) map 1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Jobey, G 1961 Archaeol Aeliana 4th Ser 39 94-95 (fig 4) "Some Northum Md & later Settlements"
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : AMs England and Wales 1965 81 (MOW)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 DKing/02-SEP-1966/OS Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ISSainsbury/10-MAY-1979/OS Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 106G/UK/1392 3214 10-MAY-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Iron Age
Display Date : Iron Age
Monument End Date : 43
Monument Start Date : -800
Monument Type : Enclosed Settlement, Enclosure, Field System
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Enclosed Settlement, Enclosure, Field System
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : ND 349
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Northumberland)
External Cross Reference Number : 10120
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 66 SW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1453819
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 66 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-09-02
End Date : 1966-09-02
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 66 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1979-05-10
End Date : 1979-05-10
Associated Activities : ENGLISH HERITAGE: HADRIAN'S WALL WHS MAPPING PROJECT, NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31