HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Haile Sand Fort

Hob Uid: 1429147
Location :
Lincolnshire
East Lindsey
Tetney
Grid Ref : TA3491106128
Summary : Haile Sand Fort was one of two sea forts built to defend ports along the Humber. Construction on the fort began in 1915 and it opened in early 1917. It comprised a hexagonal foundation with circular walls built on top with a diameter of 20.1 metres (66ft). The circular walls were constructed with concrete and faced with steel armour plating, which measured 0.5 inches all around. A further layer of steel plating lined the concrete shell internally. The foundation level of the fort was used as a coal store, above which the 'ground floor' held the engine room, boiler room, store and guard room, three barrack rooms, shower baths, kitchen, ration store and latrines. The first floor held the magazine, officers' and sergeants' mess and quarters, medical room, canteen, offices and further barracks; searchlights were also issued from this level. The fort was capped by its gun floor, which originally mounted two 4 inch quick-firing Mk.V weapons and a two-storey, central battery observation post. In 1940 the fort acquired two 12 pounder guns, which were replaced by two 6 pounder guns in 1941. The battery was in use throughout the war and retained for use afterwards. The army moved out in 1956 but the fort was armed up until the early 1960s. The fort with its original featuresand Second World War additions remain in good condition.
More information : WW2 coastal battery built within fort constructed in 1915. Original emplacements and WW2 additions are visible. No.1 (6pdr.) Gun. [information from 1998 aerial photographs]. E of Humberston. (1)

The monument is also visible as an upstanding structure on air photographs examined as part of the Rapid Coastal Assessment Survey of the Yorkshire and Humber Estuary. (2)

Haile Sand Fort located at TA 3492 0614, built to defend ports along the Humber. Construction on the fort began in 1915 and it opened in early 1917. It comprised a hexagonal foundation with circular walls built on top with a diameter of 20.1 metres (66ft). The circular walls were constructed with concrete faced with steel armour plating, which measured 0.5 inches all around. A further layer of steel plating lined the concrete shell internally. The foundation level of the fort was used as a coal store, above which the 'ground floor' held the engine room, boiler room, store and guard room, three barrack rooms, shower baths, kitchen, ration store and latrines. The first floor held the magazine, officers' and sergeants' mess and quarters, medical room, canteen, offices and further barracks; searchlights were also issued from this level. The fort was capped by its gun floor, which originally mounted two 4 inch quick-firing Mk.V weapons and was where the battery observation point was located. In 1940 the fort acquired two 12 pounder guns, which were replaced by two 6 pounder guns in 1941. The battery was in use throughout the war and retained for use afterwards. (3-4)

Aerial photography from 1998 shows that the fort dating from 1915 survives in good condition. Second World War additions are visible. The structure remains in sound condition. (5)

Aerial photograph referenced in source 5. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Migrated Defence of Britain Project database record originally compiled from various sources
Source details : The two databases developed by the Project can be searched on-line through the Archaeology Data Service at http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/index.cfm
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR TA 3506/1 (17080/7) 13-MAR-1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Twentieth century fortifications in England. Volume 6.1. Coast Artillery, 1900-1956
Source details :
Page(s) : 120-131
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6.1
Source Number : 4
Source : Twentieth century fortifications in England. Volume 6.2. Coast Artillery, 1900-1956
Source details :
Page(s) : 233
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6.2
Source Number : 5
Source : Twentieth century military recording project: World War Two Coastal Batteries
Source details :
Page(s) : 77
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR/17085/05 13-MAR-1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : Constructed between 1915-1917
Monument End Date : 1918
Monument Start Date : 1915
Monument Type : Coastal Battery, Artillery Fort
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Second World War
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Coastal Battery, Artillery Fort
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : DoB Anti Invasion Database UID
External Cross Reference Number : S0015061
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 30 NW 79
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : THE YORKSHIRE COAST AND HUMBER ESTUARY RCZAS NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-05-12
End Date : 2007-05-31
Associated Activities : LANDSCAPES OF WAR RECORDING PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31