HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Ufo Club

Hob Uid: 1439208
Location :
Greater London Authority
Camden
Grid Ref : TQ2966581588
Summary : The former site of a series of clubs, begining with an early jazz club opened in 1919-1920, later a dancehall and in the mid to late 1960s a nightclub, the UFO Club. This was said to be Britain's first club for psychedelic music. It opened in 1966 in the basement of a 1920s and 1930s dance hall, (formerly Rectors, and then The Carlton Dancehall, later known as The Blarney when it was used by the Irish community). The house band was The Pink Floyd. Numerous other groups played at this venue including Procul Harum and Fairport Convention. The club was famous for its light shows and multi media events such as plays and poetry readings. The UFO Club moved to the Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road in north-west London in August 1967 (see record 1346276). The Tottenham road premises may have also been later used as a public house and a fast food restaurant before being demolished and redeveloped as an Odeon Cinema.
More information : The UFO club, formerly 31 Tottenham Court Road. The site of a former mid to late 1960s nightclub. This was said to be Britain's first club for psychedelic music. The house band was The Pink Floyd. Numerous other groups played at this venue including Procul Harum and Fairport Convention. The site has been redeveloped as an Odeon Cinema. (1)

Footage of the UFO formed part of the 1960s experimental film "Tonite Let's Make Love in London" by Peter Whitehead . (2)

In December 1966 The UFO club initially opened at 31 Tottenham Court Road, London, in the premises of dancehall used by the Irish community, known as The Blarney. The dancehall had formerly opened in 1920 as Rectors, and later was known as The Carlton Dancehall. The UFO club became famous for its multimedia events, with light shows, psychedelic music, plays, and poetry readings. In August 1967 THE UFO moved to The Roundhouse, an old railway building at Chalk Farm Road in north-west London. (3)

Rector's Opened in 1919 and was one of the first clubs in London to host Jazz music: an early performance was by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band. In 1928 it became the Carlton Dance Hall. A later 1930s club called rector's operated from 207 Regent Street. (4)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Virgin Radio. 2006. Rock Pilgrimages: UFO Club <> [Accessed 28-FEB-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Mod Culture. 2006. Mod Culture: Reviews <> [Accessed 28-FEB-2006]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bacon T, 1999: "London Live", Balafon Books.
Page(s) : 11, 90-93, 96-98, 108, 128
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Kernfeld B, 1994: The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, p 854, 857.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Possible later use
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Public House, Restaurant
Evidence : Uncertain Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Use 1920-1966
Monument End Date : 1966
Monument Start Date : 1919
Monument Type : Dance Hall, Jazz Club
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Use change 1966-1967
Monument End Date : 1967
Monument Start Date : 1966
Monument Type : Nightclub
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Site use 2006
Monument End Date : 2006
Monument Start Date : 2006
Monument Type : Cinema
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 28 SE 731
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1346276
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :