HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Teleprinter Building Bletchley Park

Hob Uid: 1440534
Location :
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
West Bletchley
Grid Ref : SP8648333964
Summary : The Teleprinter Buildings of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park, were constructed in 1941 in brick with a steel frame to provide blast-proof protection for the teleprinter equipment and their operators. The lack of windows - a measure for blast protection - was a distinctive feature of the buildings in their original single-storey form. The ever increasing demand for communications at Bleltchley Park resulted in the piece-meal development of these buildings with the addition of offices (Huts 14 and 14a) during 1941-1942, later increased blast protection, a single storey extension in 1943 and the addition of a second storey to some parts in late 1943-1944.Teleprinters were used by Bletchley Park both to receive intercepted Enigma messages for decoding and to distribute information from the decoded messages to allied command centres across the world .After the departure of the Governnment Code and Cipher School in 1946 the main element of the teleprinter buildings was initialy used by the General Post Office as a cinema for the dual purpose of training and entertainment, and then substantially rebuilt in 1957 as an assembly hall for Bletchley Teacher Training College. As part of this rebuild, windows were inserted in the buildings and some sections, including the office huts were demolished. In 1992 it became part of the Bletchley Park Trust which manages the site and from 1994 formed part of Bletchley Park National Codes Centre Museum.
More information : The Teleprinter Buildings at Bletchley Park were constructed in 1941 in brick with a steel frame to provide blast-proof protection for the teleprinter equipment and their operators. The lack of windows - for blast protection - was a distinctive feature of the buildings in their original single-storey form. The ever increasing demand for communications at Bletchley Park resulted in the piece-meal development of these buildings and the addition of a second storey to some parts in 1944. Teleprinters were used by Bletchley Park both to receive intercepted Enigma messages for decoding and to distribute information from the decoded messages to allied command centres across the world. After the departure of the Governnment Code and Cipher School in 1946 the main element of the teleprinter buildings was substantially rebuilt as an assembly hall for the Bletchley teacher training college. As part of this rebuild, windows were inserted in the buildings and some sections were demolished. (1)

The main teleprinter building of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park was a purpose built structure constructed of brick with a steel supporing frame. It required large power rooms and a V/F room to the south. It was built from June 1941 onwards but changed over the course of the war and was altered considerably post-war. By August 1941 offices (Hut 14) were attached with a further cipher office added in 1942 (Hut 14a). Further blast proofing is thought to have been added. The continually increasing demand for extra space for communications equipment and staff meant that a single storey extension was completed by March 1943; and an extra storey was added between November 1943 and February 1944. At the same time that the single storey extension was being built, construction was underway on further separate teleprinter space in Block E.

After the departure of the Governnment Code and Cipher School in 1946 the main element of the teleprinter buildings was initialy used by the General Post Office (GPO) as a cinema for the dual perpurpose of training and entertainment, and then substantially rebuilt in 1957 as an assembly hall for Bletchley Teacher Training College. As part of this rebuild, windows were inserted in the buildings and some sections, including the office huts were demolished.

In 1992 it became part of the Bletchley Park Trust which manages the site and from 1994 formed part of Bletchley Park National Codes Centre Museum. (2)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : English Heritage Cambridge Office Architectural Investigation Team May 1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Bletchley Park, Wilton Avenue, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6EB. Historic Buildings Report; Architectural Investigation Reports and Papers B/010/2004
Source details :
Page(s) : 443-463
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : After 1946
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1946
Monument Type : Training School, Cinema
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Converted 1957
Monument End Date : 1957
Monument Start Date : 1957
Monument Type : Teacher Training College, Assembly Hall
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Built in 1941
Monument End Date : 1941
Monument Start Date : 1941
Monument Type : Telephone Exchange, Telecommunication Building, Metal Framed Building, Intelligence Analysis Block, Government Office
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Additions of 1942
Monument End Date : 1942
Monument Start Date : 1942
Monument Type : Telephone Exchange, Telecommunication Building, Intelligence Analysis Block, Government Office
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Extended 1943-44
Monument End Date : 1944
Monument Start Date : 1943
Monument Type : Intelligence Analysis Block, Telephone Exchange, Telecommunication Building, Government Office
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use from 1994
Monument End Date : 1994
Monument Start Date : 1994
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 99388
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 83 SE 59
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14