HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Glanford Brigg Union Workhouse

Hob Uid: 1451999
Location :
North Lincolnshire
Brigg
Grid Ref : TA0036207294
Summary : Glanford Brigg Union Workhouse was built in 1835 at a cost of £5,600 and could accommodate 200 inmates. The architect was William Adams Nicholson, who also designed Lincoln Workhouse. Glanford Brigg had a detached fever ward. Between 1914 and 1915 a new infirmary was erected to the east of the workhouse. The architect was Mr Butterwick. The site later became Glanford Hospital, perhaps following the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948. By 1981, the workhouse had been demolished and the only remaining building was the infirmary. In 1991, the hospital closed and the remaining building was demolished.
More information : Glanford Brigg Union Workhouse was built in 1835 at a cost of £5,600 and could accommodate 200 inmates. The architect was William Adams Nicholson, who also designed Lincoln Workhouse. Glanford Brigg had a detached fever ward. Between 1914 and 1915 a new infirmary was erected to the east of the workhouse. The architect was Mr Butterwick. The site later became Glanford Hospital, perhaps following the inauguration of the National Health Service in 1948. By 1981 the workhouse had been demolished and the only remaining building was the infirmary. In 1991 the hospital closed and the remaining building was demolished. [1-3]

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Uncatalogued Archive File - Workhouses 100839
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Higginbotham, Peter. 2006. The Workhouse. [Accessed 16-FEB-2007]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Workhouse: a study of Poor Law Buildings in England
Source details :
Page(s) : 73, 207
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Built 1835
Monument End Date : 1835
Monument Start Date : 1835
Monument Type : Workhouse, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : Infirmary built 1914-1915
Monument End Date : 1915
Monument Start Date : 1914
Monument Type : Workhouse, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Infirmary, Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : circa 1948 Change of use
Monument End Date : 1948
Monument Start Date : 1948
Monument Type : Hospital, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Closed and Demolished 1991
Monument End Date : 1991
Monument Start Date : 1991
Monument Type : Hospital
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 100839
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TA 00 NW 52
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: WORKHOUSES PROJECT
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31