HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1453589

Hob Uid: 1453589
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Porlock
Grid Ref : SS8718947682
Summary : A Second World War pillbox, probably an infantry section post, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Porlock Beach NE of Porlock Vale House in Porlock Weir, the structure consists of two connected covered linear concrete trenches forming a very shallow `v' shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof, to form a cross shape. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing NNW out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, probably for use by a heavy machine gun. The structure is constructed immediately next to a type 24 pillbox. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979.
More information : SS 8718 4768 A Second World War pillbox, probably an infantry section post, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Porlock Beach about 440 metres NE of Porlock Vale House in Porlock Weir, the 15 metres long structure consists of two covered linear concrete trenches about 2.5 metres wide forming a very shallow `v' shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof, to form a cross shape. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing NNW out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, possibly for use by a machine gun. The structure is located immediately next to a type 24 pillbox, about 1 metre to the west. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979. (1-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 8747/22 (MSO31206/014) 27-JUN-1941
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0148 01-SEP-1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/79013 157-158 17-APR-1979
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 44
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : British hardened field defences of WWII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_hardened_field_defences_of_World_War_II (Date accessed: 07-MAR-2007)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Second World War
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Pillbox
Evidence : Structure, Destroyed Monument

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 NE 122
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL: SEVERN ESTUARY NMP, RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-04-10
End Date : 2008-11-01