HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1454628

Hob Uid: 1454628
Location :
Devon
West Devon
Walkhampton
Grid Ref : SX5574069990
Summary : RAF Sharpitor, a transmitting station established early in World War 2 circa 1942 and abandoned in 1971. This small 'Technical site' served as the master transmitting station for the South Western Gee chain and was one link in the national Gee chain - a radio navigational system that enabled aircraft navigators to fix their position accurately throughout most of Europe. The station had a 210ft wooden transmitting tower and seven nissen huts including a transmitter block. A 'Domestic site' nearby (SX 57 SE 230 ) served as the personnel accommodation area until it was demolished in 1949. The station was upgraded with the addition of a new transmitter block and a 240ft high steel transmitting tower in the mid 1950s. In its heyday 35 service personnel were stationed here including 12 technicians who worked a shift system. The station, located just off the prominent summit area of Peek Hill, was demolished and cleared by 1972. The outline of many of the early buildings traceable as slight brick and concrete foundations up to 0.1m high were surveyed in 2007.
More information : Scheduled site (1)

The site of a transmitting station known as RAF Sharpitor established early in World War 2 is located just off the summit area of Peek Hill. It served as the master transmitting station for the South Western Gee chain and formed a link in the national Gee chain - a radio navigational system that enabled aircraft navigators to fix their position accurately throughout most of Europe. This 'Technical site', when constructed in about 1942, had a 210ft high wooden transmitting tower and seven nissen huts including the transmitter block and the emergency generator building which were each surrounded by a blast wall. In the mid-1950s the station was upgraded with the addition of a 240ft high steel transmitting tower and a new flat-roofed transmitter block.This block was situated to the north-east of the original transmitter block which along with most of the Nissen huts including the generator building as well as the timber tower were demolished. At its peak the station had 35 service personnel including 12 technicians who worked a shift system. The national Gee chain was shut down on 26th March 1970 and by 1972 the steel tower mast had been brought down, the station demolished and the site cleared. The outline of many of the early buildings are traceable as slight brick and concrete foundations up to 0.1m high however little survives of the 1950s buildings and steel tower base. The site is now the property of South West Water. A plan in the Dartmoor Magazine (3,4) illustrates the proposed layout of the 1950s buildings adjacent to the existing 1940s buildings; the text describes the function of each building. The site was surveyed and recorded at 1:2500 scale in 2007. The nearby 'Domestic site' (SX 57 SE 230) was used to house the RAF personnel until it was demolished in 1949 (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Scheduled Monument Notification
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : M.J.Fletcher. English Heritage Field Investigation 01.May.2007
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dartmoor Magazine No 44. Autumn 1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Second World War
Monument End Date : 1971
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Radio Station
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 24090
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 56 NE 379
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1394214
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 1454735
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1454738
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: WALKHAMPTON PREMIER ARCHAEOLOGICAL LANDSCAPE; FIELD INVESTIGATION PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2007-05-01
End Date : 2008-05-01