HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Camberwell Union Workhouse

Hob Uid: 1454968
Location :
Greater London Authority
Southwark
Grid Ref : TQ3330075200
Summary : Camberwell Union Workhouse was built in 1892 and could accommodate 1,000 inmates. The architect was T.W. Aldwinckle. It was designed to a pavilion plan with a large, central administrative block flanked by rows of dormitory pavilions. To the rear was a small chapel. The administrative block had a large central arch built of red brick with prominent stone or granolithic dressings and topped with a Dutch gable, attached to flanking two-storey wings, with bay windows and shaped gables, and leading to an open courtyard beyond. The dormitories were plain four storey buildings constructed of stock brick with red brick dressings. The buildings were connected by covered ways and the dormitories had iron-lattice 'escape bridges' connecting the upper floors. It was located on the opposite side of the railway to St Saviour's Union Infirmary. In 1930, it became St Francis's Hospital. A nurses' hostel was added in about 1938. It later became Dulwich Hospital North Wing connected to the main site south of the railway by an underground passage. The hospital closed in 1982, the buildings were demolished and a housing estate built on the site.
More information : Camberwell Union Workhouse was built in 1892 and could accommodate 1,000 inmates. The architect was T.W. Aldwinckle. It was designed to a pavilion plan with a large, central administrative block flanked by rows of dormitory pavilions. To the rear was a small chapel. The administrative block had a large central arch built of red brick with prominent stone or granolithic dressings and topped with a Dutch gable, attached to flanking two-storey wings, with bay windows and shaped gables, and leading to an open courtyard beyond. The dormitories were plain four storey buildings constructed of stock brick with red brick dressings. The buildings were connected by covered ways and the dormitories had iron-lattice 'escape bridges' connecting the upper floors. It was located on the opposite side of the railway to St Saviour's Union Infirmary. In 1930, it became St Francis's Hospital. A nurses' hostel was added in about 1938. It later became Dulwich Hospital North Wing connected to the main site south of the railway by an underground passage. The hospital closed in 1982, the buildings were demolished and a housing estate built on the site. [1-3]

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Uncatalogued NMR Archive File - Workhouses 101153
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Higginbotham, Peter. 2006. The Workhouse. [Accessed 11-MAY-2007]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Workhouse: a study of Poor Law Buildings in England
Source details :
Page(s) : 108, 214
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Built in 1892
Monument End Date : 1892
Monument Start Date : 1892
Monument Type : Workhouse, Office, Chapel, Courtyard, Mortuary
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : 1930 Change of use
Monument End Date : 1930
Monument Start Date : 1930
Monument Type : Hospital, Pavilion Ward Block, Office, Mortuary, Chapel, Courtyard
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Nurses hostel added 1938
Monument End Date : 1938
Monument Start Date : 1938
Monument Type : Hospital, Pavilion Ward Block, Office, Mortuary, Courtyard, Chapel, Nurses Hostel
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use after 1938
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1938
Monument Type : Hospital, Pavilion Ward Block, Courtyard, Chapel, Nurses Hostel
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Closed 1982 and demolished
Monument End Date : 1982
Monument Start Date : 1982
Monument Type : Hospital, Pavilion Ward Block, Courtyard, Chapel, Nurses Hostel
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 101153
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 37 NW 359
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1455094
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : RCHME: WORKHOUSES PROJECT
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14