HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Michael Moreys Hump

Hob Uid: 1458694
Location :
Isle Of Wight
Isle Of Wight
Arreton
Grid Ref : SZ5356508744
Summary : A Bronze Age bowl barrow on Gallows Hill, Arreton Down. The barrow was originally part of a barrow group of three barrows, but is now the only one surviving as an earthwork (For details of the other two barrows see HOB UID 461309 - NMR SZ 58 NW 24 and HOB UID 1458695 NMR SZ 58 NW 105). It measures 24 metres east-west by 19 metres north-south and has a maximum high of 3 metres. Excavations in 1990 located the barrow ditch which was 0.5 metres deep. The mound is truncated on the northeast side by the road. A Highway Commission barrier was constructed in 1815 abutting the barrow. This served as a road block and is visible as a mound about 4 metres wide and 0.5 metres high, at the base of the barrow on the southwest side. The barrow was excavated in 1815 by Thomas Cooke and found to contain seven extended inhumation. All were orientated with the heads to the west. Grave goods associated with the inhumations included knives, buckles, a comb, and a spearhead were also found. The grave goods suggest an Early or Middle Saxon date for the burials. The stone socket of the gibbet, erected in 1730, for Michael Morey, who killed his grandson was found at the centre of the mound. The barrow was re-excavated in 1956 and human remains, probably of these excavated in 1815 were found.
More information : (This record was originally recorded as Barrow A in HOB UID 461309 NMR - SZ 58 NW 24)

SZ 53568744 - Tumuli (O.E.) (1)

A barrow surviving as an earthwork 20 paces in diameter and 6.5 feet high. (2)

The barrow was excavated in 1815 by Thomas Cooke. In the barrow seven extended skeletons were found including those of a child of about 9 years old and another of about 2 years old. All were orientated with the heads roughly to the west. Near each skeleton, generally under the back, was an iron knife blade. Two circular brass buckles, a bone comb, and a spearhead were also found. The human remains were reburied near the centre.

The stone socket of the gibbett, erected 1730, for Michael Morey,
who killed his grandson was found at the centre. (3)

The 1815 excavations are the earliest known discovery of Anglo-Saxon or Jutish antiquities in the Isle of Wight. (4)

Full excavation report. (5)

A bowl barrow, 22 metres in diameter by 2 metres in height, mutilated on the north by a road.

Published 1/2500 revised. (6)

History of excavations. Description of Cemetery.
Catalogue of graves and grave-goods. (7)

The barrow survives as an earthwork measuring 24 metres east-west by 19 metres north-south and has a maximum high of 3 metres. Excavations in 1990 located the barrow ditch which was 0.5 metres deep. The mound is truncated on the northeast side by the road. A Highway Commission barrier was constructed in 1815 abutting the barrow. This served as a road block and is visible as a mound about 4 metres wide and 0.5 metres high, at the base of the barrow on the southwest side. (8)

The grave goods suggest an Early or Middle Saxon date for the burials. The barrow was re-excavated in 1956 and human remains, probably of these excavated in 1815 were found. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1908
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Proceedings of the Isle of Wight Natural History and Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 188, 207
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3 (3) 1940
Source Number : 3
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 365-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5, 1850
Source Number : 4
Source : A history of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 387
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Proceedings of the Isle of Wight Natural History and Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 188, 189, 251
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5, 1957
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FGA 19-SEP-1967
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Anglo-Saxon cemeteries of the Isle of Wight
Source details :
Page(s) : 75-77
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 28-Feb-95
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Gazetteer of Early Medieval Sites (unpublished thesis, 2006 by Dr A.K Cherryson))
Source details :
Page(s) : 92
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Bronze Age
Display Date : Bronze Age
Monument End Date : -700
Monument Start Date : -2600
Monument Type : Bowl Barrow
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Early-middle Saxon
Monument End Date : 870
Monument Start Date : 450
Monument Type : Inhumation
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Stratified Find
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Erected 1730
Monument End Date : 1730
Monument Start Date : 1730
Monument Type : Gibbet
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1815
Monument End Date : 1815
Monument Start Date : 1815
Monument Type : Roadblock
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Inhumation
Object Type : KNIFE, BUCKLE, COMB, SPEAR
Object Material :

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : I OF W 24
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22025
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Isle of Wight)
External Cross Reference Number : 890
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SZ 58 NW 104
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 461309
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1458695
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : MICHAEL MAREY'S HUMP
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1815-01-01
End Date : 1815-12-31
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SZ 58 NW 24
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1967-09-19
End Date : 1967-09-19