HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1470796

Hob Uid: 1470796
Location :
Devon
North Devon
Challacombe
Grid Ref : SS7000541373
Summary : A series of earthworks representing the remains of field boundaries, lynchets and hollow ways are visible on aerial photographs in fields around Twitchen farm, Challacombe. Several building platforms and the remains of a substantial structure are also visible. Twitchen Farm was originally two settlements, known as North and South Twitchen, both of which were owned in the 18th century by the Fortescue family. According to the current owner, the field in which the features can be seen was previously known as North Twitchen, and it seems likely that these features represent the remains of this settlement. It is not clear whether Twitchen is a medieval or post medieval settlement, although it was certainly in existence by 1721.
More information : A series of earthworks representing the remains of field boundaries, lynchets and two hollow ways are visible on aerial photographs in fields around Twitchen Farm, Challacombe. At SS 6989 4135, a substantial lynchets is visible, measuring 75 metres long and up to 6 metres wide. To the east of this lynchet, at SS 7007 4138, the remains of several low field boundaries can be seen, dividing the extant field into four smaller enclosures. In the south-eastern corner of these enclosures, two small building platforms can be seen, at SS 7011 4134 and SS 7013 4134.
The northernmost of the two hollow ways at SS 7004 4133 measures approximately 105 metres long and 6 metres wide. It runs roughly east-west before fading out into a large and uneven oval depression, in which several small mounds are visible. It may have originally continued further downslope towards Yarbury Combe, following a similar alignment as the lynchet described above.
The second hollow way is substantially longer, running east-west from SS 7007 4131 to SS 6987 4131 and measuring approximately 195 metres long by 4 metres wide. At the eastern end, the hollow way appears to connect with a narrow track leading to Twitchen Farm.
A ruined building is visible at SS 6999 4131. It appears roughly rectangular, measuring 13 x 7 metres. There are indications of an entranceway on the south side. This feature is marked on a map on the owner's website as "old settlement."
According to documentary sources, Twitchen Farm was originally two settlements, known as North and South Twitchen, both of which were owned in the 18th century by the Fortescue family. According to the current owner, the field in which the features can be seen was previously known as North Twitchen; during the 20th century the field was divided into two by her father, and renamed. It seems likely that these features represent the remains of North Twitchen. It is not clear whether Twitchen is a medieval or post medieval settlement; however, the earliest reference to North Twitchen in the Devon Record Office indicates it was certainly in existence by 1721 (1-6).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/95026 005-006 12-MAR-1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500 1889
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Ms Helen Asher, communication by email, 03-MAR-2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The National Archives 2008 Access to Archives http://www.a2a.org.uk/default.asp [08-MAY-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Helen Asher. 2002. Twitchen Farm http://www.twitchen.co.uk [08-MAY-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 7041/2 (21109/06) 09-FEB-2001
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Deserted Settlement, Field Boundary, Lynchet, Hollow Way, Building
Evidence : Earthwork, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Deserted Settlement, Field Boundary, Lynchet, Hollow Way, Building
Evidence : Earthwork, Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Devonshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 15158
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 74 SW 208
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: EXMOOR NATIONAL PARK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2007-04-01
End Date : 2009-07-01