HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1475701

Hob Uid: 1475701
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Exmoor
Grid Ref : SS7564440629
Summary : A pair of post medieval quarries or extractive pits are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks immediately north of Duredon Farm, Exmoor. Neither is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned some time prior to publication. Duredon Farm was one of the earliest built by the Knight family, and was completed and let in 1848. It seems likely that the quarries date to the period between the acquisition of the former Royal Forest in 1820 and the completion of Duredon in 1848, and supplied building stone for the farm buildings and enclosures.
More information : A pair of post medieval quarries or extractive pits are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks immediately north of Duredon Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7563 4062 adjacent to the post medieval field boundary north of Duredon Farm, the larger and more northerly quarry (SS 7564 4066) measures approximately 24 metres long and up to 15 metres wide. The ground surrounding the quarry is somewhat uneven, possibly representing spoil dumping. The smaller quarry, at SS 7563 4059, is more circular and measures approximately 15 metres in diameter. Within the central depression, two additional, smaller cuts are visible, suggesting this quarry was either reworked or that a seam was exploited here.
Neither of the quarries are depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting they were abandoned some time prior to publication. Duredon Farm was one of the earliest built by the Knight family, and was completed and let in 1848. It seems likely that the quarries date to the period between the acquisition of the former Royal Forest in 1820 and the completion of Duredon in 1848, and supplied building stone for the farm buildings and enclosures (1-3).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/95026 069-70 12-MAR-1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500 1889
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Orwin, C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest" London, Oxford University Press page(s), 21, 57-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1848
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Quarry, Stone Quarry, Extractive Pit
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 74 SE 186
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: EXMOOR NATIONAL PARK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2007-04-01
End Date : 2009-07-01