HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Pavilion

Hob Uid: 1481300
Location :
Devon
North Devon
Lynton and Lynmouth
Grid Ref : SS7220349647
Summary : This pavilion was built in the early 1930s by Linton Urban District Council to serve as a seaside theatre and public shelter. It was designed in 1931 by A J Gibbs on behalf of Sanders and Forster Ltd. The Pavilion served as a community facility with a small stage on the first floor and open seaside shelters on the ground floor. Later the ground floor housed the Lynmouth life boats and provided storage. The Pavilion is one of the buildings to survive the disastrous flood in 1955 which took the lives of 28 people and destroyed a great many buildings. Most recently it has been the location for the visitor and information centre for Exmoor National Park. The building has been empty for the last five years, and the kitchens were removed from the rear following structural failure. It has a steel framed construction with timber cladding and an asbestos tile roof. It is of two stories with a hipped roof. There is a gabled central bay flanked by an open veranda to the first floor and two (formerly open) bays to the ground floor. It is set into rising ground at the base of the cliffs and is rectangular on plan, oriented east to west. The theatre or assembly hall is on the first floor, with the entrance lobby and small ticket booth towards the south west angle and a small stage across the east end of the hall. The Pavilion is a relatively modest structure in a late-19th century chalet style. The central gable has decorative bargeboards and a half timbered demi lune motif in the gable end. The veranda retains its decorative cast iron railings and columns with pierced spandrels and is extended towards the west, over the cliff path stairs, to provide access to a small terrace created over the adjacent limekilns (AMIE NMR number 35192, SS 74 NW 19). The interior is relatively plain. Building survey carried out in Jan 2012 in advance of the demolition of the pavilion.
More information : This pavilion was built in the early 1930s by Linton Urban District Council to serve as a seaside theatre and public shelter. It was designed in 1931 by A J Gibbs on behalf of Sanders and Forster Ltd. The Pavilion served as a community facility with a small stage on the first floor and open seaside shelters on the ground floor. Later the ground floor housed the Lynmouth life boats and provided storage. The Pavilion is one of the buildings to survive the disastrous flood in 1955 which took the lives of 28 people and destroyed a great many buildings. Most recently it has been the location for the visitor and information centre for Exmoor National Park. The building has been empty for the last five years, and the kitchens were removed from the rear following structural failure. It has a steel framed construction with timber cladding and an asbestos tile roof. It is of two stories with a hipped roof. There is a gabled central bay flanked by an open veranda to the first floor and two (formerly open) bays to the ground floor. It is set into rising ground at the base of the cliffs and is rectangular on plan, oriented east to west. The theatre or assembly hall is on the first floor, with the entrance lobby and small ticket booth towards the south west angle and a small stage across the east end of the hall. The Pavilion is a relatively modest structure in a late-19th century chalet style. The central gable has decorative bargeboards and a half timbered demi lune motif in the gable end. The veranda retains its decorative cast iron railings and columns with pierced spandrels and is extended towards the west, over the cliff path stairs, to provide access to a small terrace created over the adjacent limekilns. The interior is relatively plain. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage Listing File
Source details : Adviser's report on case 165134 in file 504463/001.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Built in early 1930's.
Monument End Date : 1932
Monument Start Date : 1931
Monument Type : Theatre, Shelter, Lifeboat Station
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built in early 1930s.
Monument End Date : 1935
Monument Start Date : 1933
Monument Type : Theatre, Shelter, Lifeboat Station
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Until 2003.
Monument End Date : 2003
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Information Centre
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : No List Case
External Cross Reference Number : 165134
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 74 NW 219
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 35192
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LYNMOUTH PAVILION
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31