HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Northwick Manor

Hob Uid: 1507285
Location :
Worcestershire
Worcester
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SO8433557923
Summary : Northwick Manor, or Palace as it was also known, was owned by the Bishop of Worcester. The earliest documentary evidence indicating its existence dates to 1476. The bishop did not live there, but used it as a temporary residence when travelling to and from various events. Often the manor was let to one of the bishop's officials and in the early 16th century the manor was leased by Thomas Wem, scribe to the Consistory Court in the 1530s. The lease held by the Wem family indicated that the manor had a moat and it also made reference a dove house, a porters house, fish ponds, pastures and a garden. By 1585 the moat and some of the fishponds had been drained and in later years alterations were made to the manor while some of the surrounding buildings were demolished and rebuilt. On a map dating to 1751, the remains of the manor were indicated, however by 1843 the only existing buildings were farm buildings.
More information : Northwick Manor, or Palace as it was also known, was owned by the Bishop of Worcester. The earliest documentary evidence indicating its existence dates to 1476. The bishop did not live there, but used it as a temporary residence when travelling to and from various events. Often the manor was let to one of the bishop's officials and in the early 16th century the manor was leased by Thomas Wem, scribe to the Consistory Court in the 1530s. The lease held by the Wem family indicated that the manor had a moat and it also made reference a dove house, a porters house, fish ponds, pastures and a garden. By 1585 the moat and some of the fishponds had been drained and in later years alterations were made to the manor while some of the surrounding buildings were demolished and rebuilt. On a map dating to 1751, the remains of the manor were indicated, however by 1843 the only existing buildings were farm buildings. (1)

The manor-house at Northwick was a residence of the Bishops of Worcester before the Dissolution but there are now no remains of this building but a portion of the moat was said to have remained in 1913. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Young Archaeologists Club Worcestershire. 2007.The Hidden Treasures of Northwick [accessed 06-OCT-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Victoria County History of Worcestershire
Source details :
Page(s) : 302
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built by 1476
Monument End Date : 1476
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Bishops Palace, Manor House, Dovecote, Porters Lodge, Fishpond, Garden, Pasture, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Possibly demolished and rebuilt 1585
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1585
Monument Type : Porters Lodge, Dovecote
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Tudor
Display Date : Drained 1585
Monument End Date : 1585
Monument Start Date : 1585
Monument Type : Fishpond, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 85 NW 301
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :