HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Block F Bletchley Park

Hob Uid: 1525325
Location :
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
West Bletchley
Grid Ref : SP8643634121
Summary : Site of Block F which formed part of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park. The Block was constructed in 1943 to the same spider design as Block D (Monument HOB UID 1525316) but had 16 spurs of equal length off a central corridor. At the southern end of the building two of the spurs were arranged as part of an E-shaped annexe. It was a single storey building constructed of a reinforced concrete frame with brick walls and a concrete slab roof. The annexe had a steel frame, brick walls and reinforced concrete slab roof. Block F housed the 'Newmanry' which deciphered the Fish series of encrypted teleprinter transmissions used by German Commanders in Italy to high command in Berlin. This led to the development of the world's first electronic computer Colossus, which was installed in May 1944. Block H (Monument HOB UID 1525338) was built in September 1944 as an annexe to the 'Newmanry' and housed six Colossi. The rest of the block was occupied by the Air Section, including the German Air Section and the Military Section. Both sections were involved with non-Enigma codes and intelligence interpretation. Following the departure of the Government Code and Cipher School in 1946 the building was retained for use by Government Communications Headquarters. From 1949 it was used as dormitory facilities for the General Post Office and later renamed Gifford House. A cinema was installed in one of the spurs in 1955. It was demolished by British Telecommunications in 1987.
More information : Site of Block F part of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park. The Block was constructed in 1943 to the same spider design as Block D (Monument HOB UID 1525316) but had 16 spurs of equal length off a central corridor. At the southern end of the building two of the spurs were arranged as part of an E-shaped annexe. It was a single storey building constructed of a reinforced concrete frame with brick walls and a concrete slab roof. The annexe had a steel frame, brick walls and reinforced concrete slab roof.

Block F housed the 'Newmanry' which deciphered the Fish series of encrypted teleprinter transmissions used by German Commanders in Italy to high command in Berlin. This led to the development of the world's first electronic computer Colossus, which was installed in May 1944 within the annexe. Block H (Monument HOB UID 1525338) was built in September 1944 as an annexe to the 'Newmanry' and housed six Colossi. The rest of the block was occupied by the Air Section, including the German Air Section and the Military Section. Both sections were involved with non-Enigma codes and intelligence interpretation.

Following the departure of the Government Code and Cipher School in 1946 the building was retained for use by Government Communications Headquarters. From 1949 it was used as dormitory facilities for the General Post Office and later renamed Gifford House. A cinema was installed in one of the spurs in 1955. It was demolished by British Telecommunications in 1987. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Bletchley Park, Wilton Avenue, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK3 6EB. Historic Buildings Report; Architectural Investigation Reports and Papers B/010/2004
Source details :
Page(s) : 498-518
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Change of function from 1947
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1947
Monument Type : Dormitory, Government Office
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Addition of 1955
Monument End Date : 1955
Monument Start Date : 1955
Monument Type : Government Office, Cinema
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Constructed 1943
Monument End Date : 1943
Monument Start Date : 1943
Monument Type : Government Office, Intelligence Analysis Block, Concrete Framed Building
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Additons of 1944
Monument End Date : 1944
Monument Start Date : 1944
Monument Type : Government Office, Intelligence Analysis Block, Concrete Framed Building
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Demolished 1987
Monument End Date : 1987
Monument Start Date : 1987
Monument Type : Government Office
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 99388
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 83 SE 70
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14