HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

University Of Leeds

Hob Uid: 1546215
Location :
Leeds
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE2940134626
Summary : The University of Leeds began as the Yorkshire College of Science in 1874. It assumed independent university status in 1904. After 1945 it grew more rapidly than any other British university and by 2004 boasted 31,500 students. The university buildings developed in three main phases under different architectural practices; Alfred Waterhouse from 1877, Lanchester, Lucas and Lodge in the 1920s-50s, and Chamberlin, Powell and Bon in 1963-78.The early buildings by Alfred Waterhouse, near the centre of the present site, include the School of Textiles and Design (1879), the Baines Wing (1881-5) and the Gothic Revival style Great Hall (1890-4). The Great Hall is of red brick with stone dressings and has a large perpendicular traceried window between two tall towers with pyramidal roofs and bartizans. Alfred's son, Paul, added further additions after 1902. The buildings at the north of the present campus were built between 1924 and 1963 by Lanchester, Lucas and Lodge and their successors. These include the Brotherton Library and the monumental Parkinson Building. The former possesses a circular reading room, some 50m in diameter, with a gallery and green marble columns supporting a concrete dome. The later has its main façade at the east with a recessed portico up a wide staircase and a landmark clock tower with a pyramid roof. The work of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon is largely to the south; a carefully drawn up master plan involving a central block of communal lecture theatres and the disposition of other departmental buildings around it. These extend down steep slopes towards the Leeds inner ring road, which was sunk underground in order to retain the link between the University, the Infirmary and the city. The buildings were based on a modular tartan grid clad with Forticrete concrete blocks and separated at intervals with beams and columns distributing the main services. Internally there were three main walkways to aid circulation around this part of the campus.
More information : The University of Leeds began as the Yorkshire College of Science in 1874. It assumed independent university status in 1904. By 1939 there were 1,750 full-time students. After 1945 it grew more rapidly than any other British University and by 2004 boasted 31,500 students. The university buildings developed in three main phases under different architectural practices; Alfred Waterhouse from 1877, Lanchester, Lucas and Lodge in the 1920s-50s, and Chamberlin, Powell and Bon in 1963-78.

The early buildings by Alfred Waterhouse off University Road, near the centre of the present site, include the School of Textiles and Design (1879), the Baines Wing (1881-5) and the Gothic Revival style Great Hall (1890-4). The Great Hall is of red brick with stone dressings and has a large perpendicular traceried window between two tall towers with pyramidal roofs and bartizans. Alfred's son Paul added further additions after 1902, including the Neo-Georgian Agriculture Building (now Geography).

The buildings at the north of the present campus were built between 1924 and 1963 by Lanchester, Lucas and Lodge and their successors. These include the Brotherton Library (opened 1936), the Parkinson Building (1937-51), departmental buildings for Mining (1928-30), Physics (1932) and Chemistry (1934), the Students' Union (opened 1939), University House (1955), Man Made Fibres (1954-6), Michael Saddler Building For Arts, Houldsworth School (1958), Civil Engineering (1960), Mechanical Engineering (1961) and Electrical Engineering (1963). The monumental Parkinson Building has a recessed portico up a wide staircase at the east and a landmark clock tower with a pyramid roof. The Brotherton Library possesses a circular reading room some 50m in diameter with a gallery and green marble columns supporting a concrete dome.

The work of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon is largely at the south of the site; a carefully drawn up master plan involving a central block of communal lecture theatres and the disposition of other departmental buildings around it. These extend down steep slopes towards the Leeds inner ring road, which was sunk underground in order to retain the link between the University, the Infirmary and the city. They include Mathematics, Earth Sciences and Computer Science (1966), the Senior Common Room (1964-7), the E.C. Stoner Building, the Roger Stevens Building (1968-70), Garstang and Irene Manton wings (1969-70), Edward Boyle Library (1975), Economics and Social Sciences, and on the west side of the campus two halls of residence; the Henry Price Building (1963-4) and Charles Morris Hall (1964-66).

The buildings were based on a modular tartan grid clad with Forticrete concrete blocks and separated at intervals with beams and columns distributing the main services. Internally there were main three levels of walkway (the red, green and purple routes) to aid circulation around the campus. Buildings were also divided internally in block partitions to provide flexibility in use. At the centre of the complex is Chancellors Court, around which most of the other buildings are grouped. Here the Roger Stevens Building dominates the quadrangle. It has 16 raked lecture theatres and at right angles a further nine set over a glazed café and television studio. (1-3)

Many of the buildings of leeds university appear on the statutory list. At the time of writing (2011) access to the listed building descriptions is through the National Heritage List for England (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : Wrathmell, S (ed). 2005. Pevsner Architectural Guides: Leeds
Page(s) : 174-187
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Chamberlin, Powell and Bon
Source details :
Page(s) : 83-97, 137-138
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:1250, 2010
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : English Heritage. 2011. The National Heritage List for England [06-OCT-2011]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255586
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1256283
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1256288
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255587
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255638
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255654
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255691
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255826
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255827
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1255932
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1393835
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1363836
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465855
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465856
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465813
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465783
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465773
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465631
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465632
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465461
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465080
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465086
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 465091
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 505314
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 508140
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : FF98/0258
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : FF98/0259
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : BB95/12737
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05565
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05566
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05567
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05568
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05569
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05570
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05571
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05572
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05573
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05574
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : AA98/05575
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 23 SE 346
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1146321
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1478496
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1546223
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1546224
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1546226
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14