HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1547569

Hob Uid: 1547569
Location :
Kent
Gravesham
Shorne
Grid Ref : TQ6944574760
Summary : A Second World War Emergency Battery comprising two 5.5-in. guns emplaced on earthen mounds next to each other in concrete-roofed gun houses. These formed part of the Thames river defences. The battery was bulit in 1941, decommissioned by 1945 and demolished c. 1976. The guns fired from a pedestal mounting through a wide opening in either gun house. There were adjacent magazines and war shelters for the gun detachments.The battery was established around 1895 with two 6-pounder quick-firing guns mounted to cover a projected minefield adjacent to the battery at Shornemead Fort. The heavy guns were removed before the First World War. In the Second World War the quick-fire emplacements were overbuilt by two emplacements for 5.5-inch breech-loading naval guns when it was reopened as an emergency battery.The battery was located to the east of Shornemead Fort which housed the WW2 Battery Command post and Minewatcher's post. The emergency battery, Shornemead Fort and and associated pillboxes, searchlights and the embarkation hard used during the D Day landings (Operation Overlord) were protected by extensive barbed wire entanglments divided into cells around each part of the battery complex.
More information : A Second World War Emergency Battery comprising two 5.5-in. guns emplaced on earthen mounds next to each other in concrete-roofed gun houses. These formed part of the Thames river defences. The battery was bulit in 1941, decommissioned by 1945 and demolished c. 1976. The guns fired from a pedestal mounting through a wide opening in either gun house.
There were adjacent magazines and war shelters for the gun detachments. No traces remain. (1)

The earthen and structural remains of the battery could be seen at TQ 6944 7482 to the east of Shornemead Fort.

The battery was established around 1895 with two 6-pounder quick-firing guns mounted to cover a projected minefield adjacent to the battery at Shornemead Fort. The heavy guns were removed before the First World War. In the Second World War the quick-fire emplacements were overbuilt by two emplacements for 5.5-inch breech-loading naval guns when it was reopened as an emergency battery.

Shornemead Fort housed the WW2 Battery Command post and Minewatcher's post. The emergency battery, Shornemead Fort and and associated pillboxes, searchlights and the embarkation hard used during the D Day landings (Operation Overlord) were protected by extensive barbed wire entanglments divided into cells around each part of the battery complex.

This site was mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : RCHME/EH/HE Aerial Photographers comment
Source details : Kent County Council HER
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 26K/UK/1455 6555 14-MAR-1945
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Kent)
External Cross Reference Number : TQ67SE 1150
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 67 SE 243
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1426760
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 413733
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1554258
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548006
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1470603
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1423399
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1547986
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: HOO PENINSULA LANDSCAPE PROJECT NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2010-09-01
End Date : 2012-03-01