HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Tetleys Brewery Headquarters

Hob Uid: 1572662
Location :
Leeds
Leeds
Grid Ref : SE3042532963
Summary : The headquarters building was constructed in 1930-3 by the architects Kirk and Tomlinson, as part of the large Tetley's brewery complex on the site, parts of which date to the late 19th century. It is currently unused since the closure of the brewery in 2011.The building has four storeys and is in red brick with Portland stone dressings. The main, west-facing elevation is largely symmetrical with a central entrance bay stepped forward. The south end has a chamfered corner with a raised parapet and to the north is a single storey wing extending the full depth of the building. It abuts the much larger brewery buildings to the east. The windows, which appear original, are mainly multi-paned top-opening sashes. The words 'The Home of Tetley's Established 1822' are spelled out in illuminated letters above the parapet across the main elevation.Photographs of the interior show an entrance hall with panelling and an original lift in Art Deco style, original staircase and panelled directors board room with a fireplace. The directors' dining room is also said to survive. The entrance hall holds a war memorial from the First World War dated to 1922, which was moved here when the building opened, and a Second World War memorial with names carved into the panelling.
More information : The headquarters building was constructed in 1930-3 by the architects Kirk and Tomlinson, as part of the large Tetley's brewery complex on the site, parts of which date to the late 19th century. It is currently unused since the closure of the brewery in 2011.

The building has four storeys and is in red brick with Portland stone dressings. The main, west-facing elevation is largely symmetrical with a central entrance bay stepped forward. The south end has a chamfered corner with a raised parapet and to the north is a single storey wing extending the full depth of the building. It abuts the much larger brewery buildings to the east. The windows, which appear original, are mainly multi-paned top-opening sashes. The words 'The Home of Tetley's Established 1822' are spelled out in illuminated letters above the parapet across the main elevation.

Photographs of the interior show an entrance hall with panelling and an original lift in Art Deco style, original staircase and panelled directors board room with a fireplace. The directors' dining room is also said to survive. The entrance hall holds a war memorial from the First World War dated to 1922, which was moved here when the building opened, and a Second World War memorial with names carved into the panelling.

The building was proposed for listing in 2012, but the application was rejected at the sift, it did not meet the criteria for addition to the list for the following reasons:
Technological innovation and machinery: it has no special interest in terms of technological innovation or machinery.
Wider industrial context, regional factors and an integrated site: these are linked and can be dealt with together. While the brewing industry was of importance in Yorkshire, and Tetley's a major brewer, the region was not pre-eminent nationally. More significantly, the headquarters building is a small part of a much larger complex, and one that has already been judged not to be of special interest in a national context and not recommended for designation. In terms of industrial process, those parts of the site that were involved in the physical brewing would potentially have been of greater interest than the offices.
Architectural interest: the building is, as the applicants suggest, solid 1930s. The same architects were responsible for some of the buildings on the north side of Eastgate in Leeds, and there are similarities in both materials and style. The Eastgate buildings were based on designs earlier drawn up by Sir Reginald Blomfield and were already rather old-fashioned by the time they were executed. The surviving original internal features are attractive but not unusual, with the possible exception of the lift which has good contemporary styling including sun-burst motif decoration. (1)



Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : UDS Non-Designation case
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1930-3
Monument End Date : 1933
Monument Start Date : 1930
Monument Type : Office, Brewery, War Memorial (Tribute)
Evidence : Extant Building, Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Post 1945 addition
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1945
Monument Type : War Memorial (Tribute)
Evidence : Architectural Component

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 470007
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 33 SW 548
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :