HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Personnel Lift 2

Hob Uid: 1576642
Location :
Wiltshire
Wiltshire
Corsham
Grid Ref : ST8515369185
Summary : A pair of high capacity lifts and lift shafts which were used to transport personnel to the underground Ministry of Aircraft production factory in Spring Quarry. The Bath Stone quarry was requisitioned for conversion to an underground factory following the bombing of the Bristol Aeroplane Company at Filton in 1940. The construction project involved the levelling of floors, strengthening of pillars and roofs, and installation of lifts, escalators, and an extensive ventilation system. However, the factory was not ready for use by the end of 1942, when German bombing had largely ceased, and the need for the underground factory programme had diminished. The factory was re-classified as a shadow factory for production of Centaurus engines. The factory closed in 1945, and in 1954 Spring Quarry was bought by the government and the northeast area was allocated for conversion to a Central Government War Headquarters. This was designed to accommodate 4000 military and government staff, including the Prime Minister and key cabinet officials, in the event of nuclear conflict during the Cold War. Construction started in 1957 and much of the major work had been completed by 1959. The lifts were strengthened with blast walls and and concrete bunker-like shaft-heads.The Central Government War Headquarters was de-commissioned during the early 1990s and de-classified in 2004.The Personnel Lifts and associated structures are a Scheduled Monument. For the designation record of this site please see the National Heritage List for England.
More information : A pair of high capacity lifts and lift shafts which were used to transport personnel to the underground Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) factory in Spring Quarry. The Bath Stone quarry was requisitioned in 1940 for conversion to an underground factory following the bombing of the Bristol Aeroplane Company at Filton in 1940. The construction project involved the levelling of floors, strengthening of pillars and roofs, and installation of lifts, escalators, and an extensive ventilation system. However, the factory was not ready for use by the end of 1942, when German bombing had largely ceased, and the need for the underground factory programme had diminished. The factory was re-classified as a shadow factory for production of Centaurus engines.

The factory closed in 1945, and in 1954 Spring Quarry was bought by the government and the northeast area was allocated for conversion to a Central Government War Headquarters. This was designed to accommodate 4000 military and government staff, including the Prime Minister and key cabinet officials, in the event of nuclear conflict during the Cold War. Construction started in 1957 and much of the major work had been completed by 1959. The lifts were strengthened with blast walls and and concrete bunker-like shaft-heads.

The Central Government War Headquarters was de-commissioned during the early 1990s and de-classified in 2004.

The Personnel Lifts and associated structures are a Scheduled Monument. For the designation record of this site please see the National Heritage List for England. (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 20-Mar-13
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : English Heritage, 2013. The National Heritage List for England [Accessed 09-Jul-2013]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Requisitioned in 1940
Monument End Date : 1940
Monument Start Date : 1940
Monument Type : Limestone Quarry
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1957-59
Monument End Date : 1959
Monument Start Date : 1957
Monument Type : Underground Government Headquarters, Nuclear Bunker, Lift
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Built from 1940
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1940
Monument Type : Lift, Aircraft Engine Factory
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Decommissioned early 1990s
Monument End Date : 1992
Monument Start Date : 1990
Monument Type : Underground Government Headquarters, Nuclear Bunker, Lift
Evidence : Subterranean Feature
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Declassified 2004
Monument End Date : 2004
Monument Start Date : 2004
Monument Type : Underground Government Headquarters, Nuclear Bunker, Lift
Evidence : Subterranean Feature

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1409130
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 86 NE 58
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :