HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Dally Castle

Hob Uid: 15843
Location :
Northumberland
Greystead
Grid Ref : NY7748084390
Summary : The remains of a fortified house, later remodelled as a tower house, situated on the summit of a ridge within a meander of the Chirden Burn. The fortified house is visible as a rectangular structure measuring 20.9 metres north west to south east by 11.8 metres north east to south west, with walls of regular sandstone blocks 1.8 metres thick. The building is thought to be early 13th century in date and its basic plan is an upper floor hall house above a columned basement. In the later 13th and 14th century the house was remodelled into a tower house and a number of features were added; these include a square tower at the north west corner, a tower at the north east corner, a pair of buttresses on the north wall and a small tower at the south west corner. The foundations of a rectangular building, orientated east to west and measuring 9 metres by 6.4 metres, are located 10 metres east of the house. This building is thought to be the remains of an associated chapel. Dally Castle is believed to have been erected by David Linsey in his manor of Chirdon, referred to in a document of 1237 as the 'house with remarkably thick walls in the form of a tower'.
More information : (NY 77488439). Dally Castle (GT) (Remains of). (1)

In 1237 Hugh Bolbec complained to Henry III that Sir David Lindsey
was building a strong house in the form of a tower. The place at
which it was being built is not named and the tower has been
identified with Dally Castle although it may have been at Chirdon
(NY 78 SE 10).

The castle was at first a simple oblong building dating from the
reign of John or his successor. Later in the 13th cent a NW corner
turret and south wing was added and the loopholes in the ground
floor built up.

Later a NE turret was added, the SW corner strengthened and an
enclosure made on the south scarp of the castle hill (Plan shows the
three phases of building as: Early 13th cent, 13th cent, and 14th
cent or later).

The building continued in habitation until the 16th cent or later
but had become a ruin before Camden visited it in the reign of James
1. Armstrong's Map (1769) shows it as a ruin and apparently in the
18th cent the wall collapsed and all visible and accessible stones
were removed to help build Dally Mill. In 1888 Mr W L Charlton
removed enough of the debris to reveal the remains but no proper
record was kept of his finds.

The castle stands on the eastern part of a ridge or 'kaim' isolated
by cutting a gap through it. A smaller notch cuts off the extreme
eastern part of the ridge and the castle stands on the summit of the
ridge with its western end overlooking the larger ditch. There are
also traces of masonry on the low mound east of the eastern ditch.

The castle proper is in two portions. First a building of about
30' x 15' east of the main building and not on the same orientation.
Of uncertain date, it may have been a barn or even a chapel. Secondly
an oblong block 56'6" x 26'8" internally with walls 5'9" to 6'0"
thick, with turrets on its two northern corners and a larger turret
or wing on the south. The south wing has disappeared except for
short lengths of walls attached to the main walls. (Architectural
description). (2)

There is little doubt that the tower built by David De Lindesey,
mentioned as building in 1237 is Dala (Dallie 1663, Dale 1769)
Castle. (3)

The finds made during the excavation in 1888 by Mr W L S Charlton
included a helmet and a sword end.
The stonework tallies exactly with the date - 1237 - of the
tower built by David de Lyndesey. (4)

Situation, description and plan in authority 2 correct.

The masonry is of well dressed sandstone blocks in an excellent
state of preservation. Within the main building, and lying among
other loose stones on the ground, may be seen two pillar bases and
several ornamental stones. The purpose or date of the minor
buildings to the south east of the main block could not be
ascertained.

An ample water supply is available in the Chirdon Burn 80.0m to the
south-east.

Captain W H Charlton of Hesleyside (grand-son of Mr W L S Charlton,
Authority 4) was interviewed, but had no knowledge of the present
location of the finds made during the excavation of 1888. (5)

Published earthworks (25") revised. (6)

I Dally Castle (or Daley Castle). Early C.13, extended and altered
late C.13 and C.14. A valuable piece of mediaeval masonry. Plan and
details in N.C.H., Vol. XV. (7)

Dally Castle. Grade I. Ruined castle. C13 and C14. Squared stone.
Rectangular, c.50ft x 30ft with projecting towers at three corners.
The walls stand from two feet to about five feet above ground and
more below the surface. Finely-cut chamfered plinth. Several arrow
slits and parts of arrow slits remain. they are finely-detailed with
rounded jambs and steeply-sloping sills and lintels. (8)

NY 775 844. Dally Castle. Scheduled No ND/174. (9,10)

Listed by Cathcart King and Dodds. (11,12)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1895-1948
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of Northumberland, volume fifteen : the parish of Simonburn, the parish of Rothbury, the parish of Alwinton
Source details :
Page(s) : 273-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.15
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 19-Mar-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 331
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Feb-83
Source Number : 12
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 305-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Bates CJ. Border Holds
Page(s) : 55-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14, 1891
Source Number : 3a
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Royal Letters uncalendered (in 1891) Public Records Office
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details :
Page(s) : 153-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1905-6
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 03-AUG-56
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 BHP 10-JUL-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Bellingham Rural District, JAN-1949
Page(s) : 5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Tynedale, 07-JAN-1988
Page(s) : 9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : Northumberland
Page(s) : 36
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Private Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built first haslf C13
Monument End Date : 1250
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Fortified House, First Floor Hall House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C13 and C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 28588
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : ND 174
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 239677
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 78 SE 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, DALLY CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1888-01-01
End Date : 1888-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 78 SE 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1956-08-03
End Date : 1956-08-03
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 78 SE 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-07-10
End Date : 1970-07-10
Associated Activities : Primary, DALLY CASTLE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31