HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Oak Mill

Hob Uid: 1585454
Location :
Lancashire
Burnley
Dunnockshaw
Grid Ref : SD8165227675
Summary : Oak Mill in Dunnockshaw was erected in 1840 on behalf of quarry master and colliery owner, Peter Pickup. Cotton factory and a gasometer, which appears to be part of the factory complex, are shown on the Ordnance Survey first, second and third edition 25inch maps. The factory is shown, larger than before, on the current sheet, but there is no sign of the gasometer. A number of small buildings form a cluster on both sides of the Burnley Road. A reservoir appears to the south-west of the site.The mill buildings are three storeys tall and have been built from random stone. Along the roadside stands an eleven-bay spinning and weaving block. This block has two boiler house doors at ground floor level, the cast iron lintels of which read 'Oak Mill'. The integral warehouse, three storeys in height, has a loading slot at its southern end. Along the front elevation, a single-storey elevation can be found, possibly in use as a card-room. A brick turret can be found projecting from the centre of the building. A brick projection at the rear wall indicates the position of the internal engine house. The long, slender window on this wall has been infilled. The building has been adorned with quoins to return walls and window openings. A range of single-storey brick buildings stands to the rear of the mill. These functioned, among other uses, as offices and a cart shed. A chimney stood in the field behind the mill. Condition: Extant, occupied.
More information : Oak Mill in Dunnockshaw was erected in 1840 on behalf of quarry master and colliery owner, Peter Pickup. Cotton factory and a gasometer, which appears to be part of the factory complex, are shown on the Ordnance Survey first, second and third edition 25inch maps. The factory is shown, larger than before, on the current sheet, but there is no sign of the gasometer. A number of small buildings form a cluster on both sides of the Burnley Road. A reservoir appears to the south-west of the site. Richard Bridge, James Lord and Mr Fenton were among the waste spinners and manufacturers the mill was leased to until the death of James Lord in 1887. In 1885 the mill contained 3000 condenser mule spindles and 110 looms, operated by a workforce of 70 employees who seven cottages had been provided for. The Oak Mill Company Ltd was formed after 1887. The mill has been reconstructed after a fire in 1907 gutted much of the structure, but the outside walls were re-used and thus the mill's original appearance not greatly changed. The Goodshaw Fold Manufacturing Company (1908) Ltd. of Kippax Mill ran 11000 mule spindles and 380 looms in the 1920s. This company used the mill for the production of condenser goods and domestic fabrics. Since the early 1970s the mill has been producing glass fibre products. The mill buildings are three storeys tall and have been built from random stone. Along the roadside stands an eleven-bay spinning and weaving block. This block has two boiler house doors at ground floor level, the cast iron lintels of which read 'Oak Mill'. The integral warehouse, three storeys in height, has a loading slot at its southern end. Along the front elevation, a single-storey elevation can be found, possibly in use as a card-room. A brick turret can be found projecting from the centre of the building. A brick projection at the rear wall indicates the position of the internal engine house. The long, slender window on this wall has been infilled. The building has been adorned with quoins to return walls and window openings. A range of single-storey brick buildings stands to the rear of the mill. These functioned, among other uses, as offices and a cart shed. A chimney stood in the field behind the mill. Condition: Extant, occupied. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : LTM0985
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Built 1840
Monument End Date : 1840
Monument Start Date : 1840
Monument Type : Cotton Mill, Weaving Mill, Spinning Mill, Boiler House, Engine House, Warehouse, Office, Cart Shed
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Edwardian
Display Date : Gutted by dire 1907
Monument End Date : 1907
Monument Start Date : 1907
Monument Type : Cotton Mill, Spinning Mill, Weaving Mill
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Early 1970s change of use
Monument End Date : 1972
Monument Start Date : 1970
Monument Type : Fibreglass Works
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lancashire)
External Cross Reference Number : PRN7659
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 82 NW 21
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : LANCASHIRE TEXTILE MILLS RAPID SURVEY ASSESSMENT
Activity type : THEMATIC SURVEY
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31