HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Storehouse Adjacent To East Of No 12

Hob Uid: 18676
Location :
Northumberland
Hexham
Grid Ref : NY9368064120
Summary : Possibly a Medieval basement said to represent part of the town's defences (a mural tower) or conversely the substructure to the Bishop of Durham's Palace. The two upper floors are 18th Century. Now used as a storehouse. An inscribed Roman stone, taken from a later nearby grotto, may originally have formed part of the fabric of this tower.
More information : A fragment of a Roman inscribed stone, moulded top and bottom, 16 1/2" high, reading -
P AVCVST
S COH 1..
ORVM OO
PREEST..
NIVS VIC
It was exhibited to the Society on 25 May 1921, by Mr. H. F. Lockhart, who had taken the stone from a little 'grotto' in his garden at Hexham, where it had been used as part of the interior decoration. The grotto, now pulled down, stood about 20 yards from the adjacent medieval tower, and the stone may have been part of the building material of this tower. (1)

Considerable building operations in the late 1800's must have involved the removal of some parts of the remains of the mural tower abutting on the Hallstile, and probably the stone was found then. (2)

Near the top of Hall Stile Bank, on the left hand side (from the station) and some ancient vaults. (3)

NY 93686412 Vaults [symbol used indicates a pre-Reformation date] (4)

The mediaeval mural tower consists of the remains of a vaulted chamber situated immediately north of Prospect House (NY 93696411). Local enquiries revealed that the latter was formerly the residence of Mr. H. F. Lockhart (now deceased) who exhibited the Roman stone to the Society of Antiquaries, Newcastle. The chamber measures internally 8.2 m by 4.4 m with walls 0.8 m to 1.0 m thick. The stone vaulted roof is segmental and on the north side is a doorway with segmented head. Above the vault is a building of hand made brick, which, in the opinion of this investigator, is of 18th cent. date. The purpose of the chamber is doubtful. Its situation on a lower level than the nearby Moot Hall (NY 96 SW 9) does not suggest an association with an enclosure or bailey attached to that building. The comparatively thin outer walls are not indicative of a tower as suggested by authorities (1) and (2). The construction of the vaulted roof is suggestive of a mediaeval origin. The chamber, the east end of which is partly demolished, is used as a store. The Roman inscribed stone is preserved in the Manor Office Hallgate, Hexham and is the property of Mrs. F.V.A. Lockhart, Sunniside, Hexham. See Illustrations Card. (5)

Condition unchanged. (6)

Possibly a Medieval basement said to represent part of the town's defences or conversely the substructure to the Bishop of Durham's Palace. The two upper floors are 18th century. Grade 2. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne
Source details : (report of exhibits)
Page(s) : 56-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10, 1921-2
Source Number : 2
Source : Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne
Source details : (RC Bousanquet)
Page(s) : 324
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10, 1921-2
Source Number : 3
Source : Northumberland County History
Source details : (AB Hinds M.A.)
Page(s) : 307
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3, 1896
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Abbey of St. Andrew, Hexham 1888 plate 53 (plan) (CC Hodges)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 EG 17-MAY-56
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 JRF 07-JAN-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Tynedale, Northumberland: 18.5.76
Page(s) : 39
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Inscribed Stone
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Vault, Tower, Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 18th Century
Monument End Date : 1800
Monument Start Date : 1701
Monument Type : Building
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Storehouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 239118
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 96 SW 13
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 96 SW 13
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1956-05-17
End Date : 1956-05-17
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 96 SW 13
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-01-07
End Date : 1966-01-07