HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Walton Castle

Hob Uid: 195458
Location :
North Somerset
Clevedon
Grid Ref : ST4156372866
Summary : A Post Medieval building and curtain wall with towers, known as Walton Castle, visible as ruins, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1950. The castle was, in fact, a castellated Gothic folly/hunting lodge, constructed c.1620 by the first Lord Poulett, whose family seat was actually in Hinton St George in Somerset. Located on the southwestern end of Walton Common, overlooking Clevedon, the castle had fallen into ruins by the 1790s. The first rebuild of the castle began in 1979 by a relative of the owner at that time, Sir William Miles from Walton-in-Gordano, who used it as a family home. The castle building is octagonal in shape; with each wall about 4 metres long. A polygonal turret, about 4.5 metres in diameter, is located on the southeast side and extends a storey higher than the main castle structure. A two storey rectangular extension, about 5 metres wide by 3 metres deep, projects from the northeast side. Surrounding the castle is an octagonal, crenellated curtain wall about 1.5 metres thick and 38 metres in diameter; from each corner of which extends a crenellated circular tower. A photograph dated to 1877 shows that the height of the southwestern wall reaches the same height as its two flanking towers and has some crenellations visible, whilst the remaining wall heights appear to be about half the height of the towers and have no visible crenellations. Aerial photographs taken in 1982 show the castle and the surrounding curtain wall have been rebuilt, although the wall turrets remain roofless and covered in vegetation. However, in aerial photographs taken in 1986, the curtain wall turrets have been re-roofed and repaired.
More information : [ST 4156 7286] Walton Castle [NAT]. (1)

Walton Castle was built c. 1615-20 by the first Lord Poulett. It is
an ornamental hunting lodge. (2)

The extent of the park is shown on an early 19th c. map. (3)

Scheduled. (4)

Grimm depicted the castle in 1788, see AO/65/44/6. The remains are
now in poor condition. See AO/62/128/7 and 8. The park boundary
consists of modern field banks and walls with no trace of an earthen
pale. (5)

No change. (6)

Walton Castle, descheduled. (7)

Walton Castle - now undergoing conversion into a private dwelling. (8)

A Post Medieval building and curtain wall with towers, known as Walton Castle, visible as ruins, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1950. The castle was, in fact, a castellated Gothic folly/hunting lodge, constructed c.1620 by the first Lord Poulett, whose family seat was actually in Hinton St George in Somerset. Located on the southwestern end of Walton Common, overlooking Clevedon, the castle had fallen into ruins by the 1790s. The first rebuild of the castle began in 1979 by a relative of the owner at that time, Sir William Miles from Walton-in-Gordano, who used it as a family home. The castle was resold in 1984 and the new owners carried out further renovations, living there until after 1999, when it was subsequently resold. The three storey castle building, centred at ST 4156 7287, is octagonal in shape; with each wall about 4 metres long. A polygonal turret, about 4.5 metres in diameter, is located on the southeast side and extends a storey higher than the main castle structure. A two storey rectangular extension, about 5 metres wide by 3 metres deep, projects from the northeast side. Surrounding the castle is an octagonal, crenellated curtain wall about 1.5 metres thick and 38 metres in diameter; from each corner of which extends a crenellated circular tower of varying diameters. A photograph dated to 1877 shows that the height of the southwestern wall reaches the same height as its two flanking towers and has some crenellations visible, whilst the remaining wall heights appear to be about half the height of the towers and have no visible crenellations. Aerial photographs taken in 1982 show the castle and the surrounding curtain wall have been rebuilt, although the wall turrets remain roofless and covered in vegetation. However, in aerial photographs taken in 1986, the curtain wall turrets have been re-roofed and repaired. (9-14)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1930-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : B. of E. (N. Somer & Bristol) 1958 274 (Pevsner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/82144 003-004 17-JUN-1982
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR OS/86259 086-087 27-NOV-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Francis Frith - Clevedon Photos http://www.francisfrith.com/search/england/avon/clevedon/photos/clevedon_photos.htm [Date accessed 28-JAN-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : King of the Castle http://weldgen.tripod.com/arnos-vale/id5.html [Date accessed 28-JAN-2008]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS Small Scales Reviser Oct 1992
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map of Somerset (1820-1) 1' to 1 mile (Greenwood)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : A.M. England & Wales. 1955.61 (M.O.W.)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 05-APR-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Water colour, S.H. Grimm 1788 In Som. Arch. Soc. Library.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 GHP 16-FEB-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (SAM) Record Form 02-JUN-89
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF F14/58/496 5058-5059 09-JUN-1950
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF F20/541/553 3071-3072 04-JUN-1950
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Park
Evidence :
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1615
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge, Park, Folly
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge, Folly, House
Evidence : Ruined Building, Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 47 SW 10
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 195478
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 932573
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1464597
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 47 SW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-04-05
End Date : 1962-04-05
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 47 SW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-02-16
End Date : 1965-02-16
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: OS SWEEPS
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1983-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL: SEVERN ESTUARY NMP, RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-04-10
End Date : 2008-11-01