HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Loes Castle

Hob Uid: 201108
Location :
Bath and North East Somerset
Newton St. Loe
Grid Ref : ST6940063970
Summary : Site of a fortified manor house and deer park, occupied possibly from the 12th century. The fortified manor house consisted of a rectangular courtyard with square corner towers and connecting ranges behind a curtain wall, surrounded on at least three sides by a ditch. Excavation has identified three main medieval building phases, the principal one being during the first quarter of the 14th century, and a ceramic sequence from the 12th/13th centuries to the 18th century. The gatehouse was built in the mid 15th century. During the 16th century alterations were made to the defences and domestic buildings. The mound lying north of the keep was proved by excavation to be the remains of a tower at the termination of the east curtain wall. Most of the complex was demolished during landscaping of the park in the 18th century. Keep listed Grade I; Gatehouse listed Grade I and scheduled.
More information : [Name ST 6933 6401] ST. LOES CASTLE [NR] (Remains of) [NAT]. (1)

To the SW of Newton Park is the much remodelled keep of the St. Loes, possibly 13th century, with restored 16th century windows. The Gatehouse to the SW of the keep is probably 15th century Two long ranges of Tudor outbuildings to the SW of the keep have been modernised. (2)

[ST 6935 6397] Gatehouse.
[ST 6940 6397] Keep. (3)

Newton St. Loe Castle. Scheduled. (4)

'St. Loe's Castle' is the accepted form. The buildings now form part of a teacher training college.

The "Tudor" blocks are centred at ST 69316395 and ST9346388. Ground photographs: see AO/62/20/7 for the gatehouse from the NE, AO/62/20/8 for the keep from the south, and AO/62/25/2 for "Tudor" block from the NE

Probable vestiges of a curtain wall survive in the lower part of the garden wall adjoining the NW corner of the gatehouse, and the south of the keep where a fragment of wall footing has recently been discovered in line with its east face; while at ST 69376401 there is a mound so positioned as to suggest that it marks the site of a corner tower. (5)

No change. (6)

(ST 654639) St. Loe's Castle (NR) (remains of) (NAT)
(ST 69376401) Mound (NR). (7)

The manor of Newton was given to the Bishop of Coutances in 1065 from whom it passed to Roger St. Loe in Normandy, remaining in that family until 1375. The property was sold to Joseph Langton in 1666 and the new house (see ST 66 SE 26) was built in 1760. The landscaping of the park entailed laying a gravel drive which ran through the manor house, and all standing structures except the keep and gatehouse were demolished.

Excavation, field-work and investigation of standing medieval structures have been carried out between 1975 and 1979 and are continuing, see plans (8).

The fortified manor house consisted of a rectangular courtyard with square corner towers and connecting ranges behind a curtain wall, surrounded on at least three sides by a ditch.
Three main medieval building phases have been identified, the principal one being during the first quarter of the 14th
century, and a ceramic sequence from the 12th/13th centuries to the 18th century. The gatehouse was built in the mid 15th
century; in the 16th century alterations were made to the
defences and domestic buildings. The mound lying north of the keep was proved by excavation to be the remains of a tower at the termination of the east curtain wall.

The keep and gatehouse HHR Grade 1.

There was a medieval deer park at Newton Park (2). (8-12)

ST 69366398: Excavations by C J Arnold for Bath College of Higher Education continued on the castle site from 1981. (13)

Excavations in 1982 on the W part of the site located 14th century walls and structures, including part of a barrel vault of a cellar. (14)

Excavations continued on the NW section on 1983. (15)

Castle 'keep' actually part of a fortified manor house, 14th century.
Grade I.

Gatehouse, 15th century. Grade I. (16)

Listed. (17)

There is an oval gunport in the gatehouse. (18)

Final excavation report on the excavations of 1975-84. (19)

Currently [as at 2007] still in use as the Newton Park Campus of Bath Spa University, used for teacher training. (20)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1930-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : North Somerset and Bristol (N. Pevsner)
Page(s) : 234
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : -1958
Source Number : 11
Source : The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire
Source details : J Collinson
Page(s) : 342-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 12
Source : Bristol Archaeological Research Group (B.A.R.G.) bulletin
Source details : R Iles
Page(s) : 117
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6 No 5 (1978)
Source Number : 13
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : S Youngs, J Clarke
Page(s) : 170
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 26 (1982)
Source Number : 14
Source : Bristol & Avon archaeology
Source details : R Iles
Page(s) : 55
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2 (1983)
Source Number : 15
Source : Bristol & Avon archaeology
Source details : R Iles
Page(s) : 63
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3 (1984)
Source Number : 16
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Wansdyke District, Avon. September 1984, 60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 17
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Avon (May 1987)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 1
Source Number : 18
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1977
Source Number : 19
Source : Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, Bath
Source details :
Page(s) : 57-115
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 143, 2001
Source Number : 20
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : < http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/about/campuses/newton-park.asp > [accessed 12-JUL-2007]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Large Scale / Small Scale Map Revisers Comment
Source details : S.S. 6" (F. Royle Reviser, 10.5.56)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ancient monuments in England and Wales : list prepared by the Ministry of Works, corrected to 31st December 1952
Source details : 1958 edition
Page(s) : 68
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 08-FEB-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 JP 01-DEC-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, Bath
Source details : (C Arnold)
Page(s) : 77-86
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 124 (1980)
Source Number : 9
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : (C J Arnold)
Page(s) : 200
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 25 (1981)
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Bathavon Rural District, November 1949
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Pre C12
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Manor
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Probable C12 construction
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Deer Park
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Constructed first quarter of C14
Monument End Date : 1324
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Curtain Wall, Angle Tower
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Constructed mid C15
Monument End Date : 1466
Monument Start Date : 1433
Monument Type : Gatehouse, Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use from at least 1962
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1962
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Gatehouse, Teacher Training College
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : AV 122
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Avon)
External Cross Reference Number : 1318
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 32584
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 32585
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : BA 122
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 66 SE 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 201191
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 66 SE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-02-08
End Date : 1962-02-08
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 66 SE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-12-01
End Date : 1965-12-01
Associated Activities : Primary, NEWTON ST LOE MANOR HOUSE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1975-01-01
End Date : 1984-12-31