HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Berwick

Hob Uid: 204546
Location :
Bath And North East Somerset
Bath And North East Somerset
Bath
Grid Ref : ST7410062600
Summary : The possible site of an Iron Age multivallate hillfort has now been built over. A 'camp' called Berwick, Berewyke, or Berewyck, adjoining Cottage Crescent and near Barrack Farm, was described in the early 19th century.
More information : (Area ST 74116255) A 'camp' called Berwick, Berewyke,
or Berewyck, adjoining Cottage Crescent and near Barrack Farm,
was described in the early 19th century as surrounded by a
strong 'vallum' (1) (2). More recent authorities (3) (4) (5)
refer to scarping of the edge of the plateau and other traces of
the camp but too mutilated by stone quarrying to be identifiable
with certainty.

The areas indicated by Phelps is now occupied by housing
estates, playing fields and old quarry workings used as a dump.
There are no recognisable remains of an earthwork.

Near the Wansdyke on the western part of Widcombe and Lyncombe
parish "... is a lofty eminence, called the Barracks, on which
are several tumuli. Underneath the hill stood the ancient village
of Berewyke, or Berwick, where according to tradition was a
church, the site of which was near the only remaining house,
called Barracks Farm. The tithes of this place belonged to the
vicar of St Mary de Stall in Bath" (ST 76 SW : 35).

A possible multivallate contour fort set on the plateua of Odd
Down. The area is now occupied by a factory and playing fields,
and there are no certain traces of earthworks of hillfort type.
Visited 16.4.73

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Phelps. 1836. History of Somerset 1, plan 102, 103
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : British Museum Add manuscripts 33669 f 11 (Rev J Skinner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : Scarth H M
Page(s) : 109-110
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 6, 1855
Source Number : 4
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : Scarth H M
Page(s) : 21
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 22 (2), 1876
Source Number : 5
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Letter (A T Wicks 1950)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 03-FEB-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Collinson J. 1791. History and Antiquities of Somerset 1, 171
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Hillfort and hill-top settlement in Somerset in the first to eighth centuries A.D.
Source details :
Page(s) : 264-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 91

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Iron Age
Display Date : Iron Age
Monument End Date : 43
Monument Start Date : -800
Monument Type : Multivallate Hillfort
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Destroyed Monument

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 76 SW 23
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 76 SW 23
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-02-03
End Date : 1966-02-03