HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Longleat House

Hob Uid: 207647
Location :
Wiltshire
Horningsham
Grid Ref : ST8091742989
Summary : Country house on the site of an Augustinian Priory founded 1210 and dissolved 1529. It became a private residence in 1546, and was rebuilt after a fire in 1568. Refronted in 1572, 1801 and 1811. The chapel was consecrated in 1684.
More information : [ST 80924298] Longleat House [G.T.] on site of St. Radegund's Priory [G.T.] (Augustinian Canons founded c. A.D. 1272) Chapel [G.T.] (1)

The foundation of the Augustinian Priory dedicated to St. Radegund, at Longleat, is obscure but accepted as c.1272. It was suppressed in 1529 and appropriated to Hinton (2) The estate was bought by Sir J.Thynne in 1541 who adapted the buildings to make a suitable home between 1546 and 1552. This was rebuilt and then partly destroyed by fire in 1567. The present building was begun in 1568 and re-fronted in 1572, and again altered between 1801 and 1811. (3) Behind the w. facade lay the chapel consecrated in 1684, now horizontally subdivided to create living rooms (4). (2-4)

Longleat House is of outstanding interest. (5)

I Longleat House

The site of the Augustinian Priory of St. Radegund founded in 1210 by Sir John Vernon. This was dissolved in 1529 and the land eventually sold to Sir John Horsey (see map No. 2) in 1539, who sold it immediately to Mr. John Thynne who was knighted in 1547 and commenced rebuilding in 1568. There is apparently no record of the original architect. There is a tradition that John of Padua was employed. Also possibly R. Smithson may have worked here, and though Longleat has something of the character of Ollaton in its elaborate symmetry, the detail appears too delicate and too classic to be by the same hand, or even by an English designer.

The Great Hall was completed by the second Sir John Thynne. The grand
staircase and garden terrace were carried out in 1670 from designs by
Sir C. Wren. The stair and a large part of the house were later altered for the 2nd Marquess of Bath by Sir Jeffrey Wyattville in 1808. The Great Hall was not altered. The landscape of the Park is among the finest of England, part of ancient planting, part of C17 (the main aproach avenue from Horningsham Lodge) and part, by Capability Brown, of mid C18. Most of the present gardens are probably of C19 and later date repeating perhaps the layout of the 17th century formal gardens to a small extent The house is well illustrated and described in various publications. Good photographs in Country Life October 1902 and May 1903.

The various farm buildings in the Park are mainly of C19 and unimportant. Payments to John of Padua in 1544 and 1549 are recorded at Longleat (. M. Simpson - History of Architectural Development Vol. III), too early,, if correct, for the rebuilding of the house. (6)

Longleat House. Grade I (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS. 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 145
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : Girovard M
Page(s) : 220
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 116, 1954
Source Number : 4
Source : Wiltshire
Source details : 1963 Edition
Page(s) : 276-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ANK 05-MAY-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Warminster and Westbury, Wilts, April 1968
Page(s) : 62-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : West Wiltshire District. Wilts. 1 July 1986
Page(s) : 85-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Wiltshire (September 1987)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 46
Source Number : 9
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 165
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded in 1272
Monument End Date : 1272
Monument Start Date : 1272
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Suppressed in 1529
Monument End Date : 1529
Monument Start Date : 1529
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Reconstructed 1568
Monument End Date : 1568
Monument Start Date : 1568
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refronted in 1572
Monument End Date : 1572
Monument Start Date : 1572
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Consecrated 1684
Monument End Date : 1684
Monument Start Date : 1684
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refronted 1801
Monument End Date : 1801
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refronted in 1811
Monument End Date : 1811
Monument Start Date : 1811
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 313358
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1364361
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 84 SW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 207518
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1061664
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 618971
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON ST 84 SW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-05-05
End Date : 1966-05-05