HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 216242

Hob Uid: 216242
Location :
Wiltshire
Devizes
Grid Ref : SU0009061510
Summary : Site of Devizes town ditch, which consisted originally of a rampart with outer ditch, the latter having been filled in 1538. Three gates are known to have existed. None of these features are extant
More information : (SU00096151 - SU 00256100) The town ditch consisted of a rampart with outer ditch which was filled in in 1538. It started in the valley near the railway station and crossed Northgate St. between 'Sandcliff' and Station Rd. It passed through the gasworks where, during excavations for a new gasholder, it was seen to be 25 ft wide, 7 ft deep and 4 ft wide at the bottom. It crossed the wharf, Wharf St., the W side of Victoria Rd. and then followed the approximate course of Commercial Rd., crossing Sidmouth St. behind Southbroom Terrace, the top end of Hare and Hounds St. and on to the top of Long St. It continued down Hillworth Rd. on the right hand side and ended just below Gallows Ditch Pond.
There were three gates:- the S. gate just inside the ditch in Long St.,the N. gate near the brewery and the E. gate or 'Mary Port' was near Albion Place in Sidmouth St. In December 1944 the ditch was revealed in a trench dug down Hillworth Road which indicated that it crossed at about No.30 Long St. (1)

There are no longer any traces of either the town ditch or the gates.
The gates were situated as follows:-
N. gate - SU 00136165
E. gate - SU 00736144
S. gate - SU 00616107. (2)

The town was put in readiness during the Civil War, a small ditch found in 1974 possibly being the remains. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine
Source details : (B.H. Cunnington)
Page(s) : 39-40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 51, 1945-7
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JP 17-JUL-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 59
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 15, 1987

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Ditch backfilled 1538
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Town Defences, Ditch
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Civil War
Monument End Date : 1649
Monument Start Date : 1642
Monument Type : Town Defences
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Wiltshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 450
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 06 SW 54
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 06 SW 54
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-07-17
End Date : 1968-07-17
Associated Activities : Primary, DEVIZES
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1974-01-01
End Date : 1974-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: AVEBURY WORLD HERITAGE SITE PROJECT
Activity type : FIELD SURVEY
Start Date : 1997-08-01
End Date : 1998-12-01