HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Queens House And The Kings House

Hob Uid: 222237
Location :
Hampshire
New Forest
Lyndhurst
Grid Ref : SU2972008130
Summary : Manor house in existence in 1270, and repairs to it as a royal lodge are noted throughout the Medieval period. It was repaired and enlarged by Henry VIII, much altered in 1851 and shortly before 1911 was 'restored to very much its original form'. The building houses the Verderer's Court.
More information : (SU 29720813). The Queen's House (NAT) (1)

"The present King's House (i.e. the Queen's House, see below) and Verderers' Hall at Lyndhurst appear to be respectively on the site of and part of the medieval manor-house" (2).

The manor-house was in existence in 1270 and repairs to it as a royal lodge are noted throughout the middle ages. It was repaired and enlarged by Henry VIII (the first building in brick), and there were very substantial repairs and enlargement in 1635-70. In 1851 it was much altered, and shortly before 1911 it was `restored to very much its original form' (3).

The house served as headquarters for the Forest Officers from early times (first the Lords Warden and then the Deputy Surveyors) and is now the administrative office of the Forestry Commission. It is called either the King's or the Queen's according to the reign.(4).

The Queen's House is a substantial three-storeyed brick building of rectangular plan, with a tiled mansard roof. The major part is a private residence. The north-east end has the Verderers' Hall on the ground floor and the Forestry Commission offices above. On the exterior all appears to be of 19th-century date, except for some Tudor brick in the walling and some dated lead drain pipes of the 17th century. (5)

The Queen's House, High Street. Grade II*. Once royal hunting lodge, now Forestry Commission headquarters. Of medieval origin and Tudor, surviving building 17th-century. of 2 builds, altered early and mid 19th-century restored twice 20th- century. Inside is Verderer's Court room 18th-century but much restored, rest of building very much restored. (6)

King's House and Queen's House. In the former the Verderers' Court was held, and the court room is preserved. The architectural history of the house is not easily deciphered. The east porch and the north gables are 17th century, the former late. Then there are rainwater heads with the date 1712, and to that belong the west doorway with its apsed hood, and the fine south facade with raised brick window surrounds. (7-8)

Plan of the King's House. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1968
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 984-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, volume four
Source details :
Page(s) : 630-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : 'New Forest' Forestry Commission Guide 1966 15-21
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FGA 07-JAN-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Dist of New Forest, Hants 13.5.1987 62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
Source details : (N Pevsner and D Lloyd)
Page(s) : 327-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 4 : 1485-1660 (Part 2)
Source details :
Page(s) : 161-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 5 : 1660-1782
Source details :
Page(s) : 205-7
Figs. : ILLUS
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : documented 1270
Monument End Date : 1270
Monument Start Date : 1270
Monument Type : Manor House, Hunting Lodge, Court Room
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 20 NE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 20 NE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-01-07
End Date : 1970-01-07