HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Netley Castle

Hob Uid: 229636
Location :
Hampshire
Eastleigh
Hound
Grid Ref : SU4515608853
Summary : A Henrician artillery castle, built in 1542-5 by Sir William Paulet for Henry VIII to guard the anchorage at Southampton Water. It was built as part of the network of coastal defences to defend England against the threat of French and Spanish invasion. It consisted of a single-storey rectangular tower (19.5m wide by 14m deep) flanked by gun platforms on either side. There were four embrasures facing the sea on the roof of the main building, through which the artillery fired through. The castle was maintained and garrisoned until at least 1626-7 and possibly as late as 1642. In the early 19th century the fort was converted into a private residence and in 1840-60 it was modified and a Gothic tower built. It was extensively altered in 1885-90 when a two-storey central block with attic and basement was built and the castle became a convalescent home in 1946. In 2001 the castle was converted into apartments.
More information : (SU 45120885) Netley Castle (1)

One of the Solent forts built in 1542 by Sir William Paulet at the request of Henry VIII. A single storeyed oblong structure with archways on the seaward side and strong battlemented parapet, the battlements curving convexly on their outward face. The fort was garrisoned until 1627 when it became a private residence. c1840 the fort substantially remained, with little enlargement. c1840-60, an upper storey was added, and in 1885-90 the building was transformed and greatly enlarged, with the addition of a third storey and a new wing on the SE side rising to three storeys. (2-3)

Netley Castle, in use as a hospital, as described above and in excellent condition. The walls of the fort are still visible in the faces of the present building.

Published 1/2500 survey correct; see 1:2500 map diagram for extent of original building. (4)

Completed by 1547, the Henrican Castle was probably commenced in 1544 or 1545 by Lord St John, later 1st Marquess of Winchester. In September 1547 he was pardoned for contributing a fort without licence. Full description and history of he castle until its disablement by Parliamentarians in 1642. (5)

Used as a residence until ca. 1850 when it was altered, and a Gothic tower was added by Guillaume. Extended and remodelled by Sedding in the 1880's. (6)

Grade II*. The core of the present day building comprises of the 1542 artillery fort. Remains of the original structure include the curving top of the parapet with some splayed apertures which protected the gun emplacements. The present day building was altered between 1840-60 with the addition of a Gothic tower. It was remodelled extensively in 1885-90 to the designs of Sedding and includes a two-storey central block with attic and basement. There are three gables above the castellated parapet. The south front has four windows and there is a central bay on a splayed basement on the ground floor. The wings are more complicated architecturally; the south wing has two storeys ending in an octagonal tower and turret.
For more detailed information please refer to the source. (7)

Additional references. (8-9)

Archaeological observations made during refurbishment works to convert the building into apartments proved the assessments of Colvin and others to be largely correct, except with respect to two significant features of the forts original form; there is no evidence of a moat, and the keep and northern platform enclosed open spaces at ground floor level probably roofed by wall fast timber structures.

Although estimates of the fort's construction date vary, it was functioning by at least 25th March 1545, when the records for payments to the garrison begin. The fort was one of a group of three around the Solent, with Southsea and St. Andrew's Point. It was maintained and garrisoned until at least 1626-7 when it was surveyed by Dutch engineers, and possibly as late as 1642 when it was reported as disabled. It was later repaired, in 1650, under the Commonwealth, in anticipation of royalist support for Charles II, but with the re-establishment of the monarchy the fort became redundant and its design obsolete.

The fort's ruinous fabric presented an ideal canvas for 19th century Romantic artists and Gothic architects. Early 18th century estate surveys indicate a gabled roof over the keep whilst the 1838 Tithes survey shows the presence of a tower at the south end by that time. Continuous redesign and refurbishment took place after the fort became a residence in the early 19th century. In 1936 the castle was sold and purchased for conversion into a convalescent home. It was converted to apartments in 2001. (10)

A Solent fort built in 1542 and garrisoned until 1627. It then became private house. It was heightened in 1857 and an asymmetrical Gothic tower was built 1885-90. The 19th century additions added two more floors to the original single-storeyed Henry VIII building. (11)

The Henrician artillery castle consisted of a single-storey rectangular tower (19.5m wide by 14m deep) flanked by gun platforms on either side. There were four wide embrasures facing the sea on the roof of the main building. It was built by Lord St John for Henry VIII. (12)

The Castle become a Convalescent Home in 1946 and has recently been converted into luxury apartments. (13)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
Source details :
Page(s) : 348-50
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : The Castles of Henry VIII
Source details :
Page(s) : 32
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Netley Abbey. 2009. Netley Castle, [Accessed 07-APR-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 472-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 10-SEP-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 4 : 1485-1660 (Part 2)
Source details :
Page(s) : 545-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society
Source details : J Vale
Page(s) : 183
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 39, 1983
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Eastleigh Hants Feb 1983 56-7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : SU 40 NE 3 (Netley Castle) (1969)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : SU 40 NE 2 (Netley Abbey) and 3 (Netley Castle) (1969)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Netley Castle, Hampshire: archaeological watching brief
Source details : Unpublished archaeological report, ASI Heritage Consultants (ASI 3132) by M. Heaton
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted to house early 19thC
Monument End Date : 1832
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Tudor
Display Date : Built 1542-1545
Monument End Date : 1545
Monument Start Date : 1542
Monument Type : Artillery Castle, Artillery Fort
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Stuart
Display Date : Decommissioned 1627
Monument End Date : 1627
Monument Start Date : 1627
Monument Type : Artillery Castle, Artillery Fort
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Refurbished 1840-60
Monument End Date : 1860
Monument Start Date : 1840
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Refurbished 1885-90
Monument End Date : 1890
Monument Start Date : 1885
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Converted 1946
Monument End Date : 1946
Monument Start Date : 1946
Monument Type : Convalescent Home
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Converted 2001
Monument End Date : 2001
Monument Start Date : 2001
Monument Type : Apartment
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HA 233
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 355004
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 40 NE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 229633
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 40 NE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-09-10
End Date : 1969-09-10
Associated Activities : Primary, NETLEY CASTLE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31