HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ogle Castle

Hob Uid: 23065
Location :
Northumberland
Northumberland
Whalton
Grid Ref : NZ1405079080
Summary : Ogle Castle moated site situated on the left bank of the Ogle Burn. At the eastern end of the north row of the deserted medieval village of Ogle (NZ 17 NW 4) are the remains of a large enclosure bounded by an earthen bank standing to a height of 1 metre. Within the enclosure are the partially infilled remains of a double moated site. Part of the inner moat on the northern side and all of its western arm survive well where they are on average 2 metres deep. At the north west corner the inner moat stands up to 4 metres deep. Part of the southern arm of the outer moat also survives as a slight earthwork 0.4 metres deep. The remainder of the two moats have become infilled but the course of the outer moat can be traced on the north and south sides as a slight depression in pasture. The eastern arm of the moat is no longer visible and has been infilled and partially built over. The island of the moated site contains the remains of a stone and rubble medieval structure which was remodelled during the 16th century and restored in the mid 20th century. The original medieval buildings are thought to have included a tower with an attached manor house as licence to crenellate was granted in 1341 and a document of 1415 lists the existence of a 'castrum' at Ogle.
More information : (NZ 14057908) Ogle Castle (L.B.) Moat (L.B.) (1)

An account of 1664 states that the castle was small but strong with 'several towers upon the wall, built in a half-round outwardly and in a square within, surrounded by a double moat and drawbridge before the gate'. Little of it remained in 1776 and in 1827 the building was gone and the west end of the moat was the only survival. The succeding house (now a farm) is 17th c. and was probably once a place of some consequence. (2)

Licence to crenellate was granted on May 11th 1341, and a list of
1415 mentions a 'castrum' at Ogle. (3)

Some pieces of the walling of the castle are said to be incorporated in the present building, which is supposed to stand on the foundations of its SW corner (a). The moat where it survives on the west and north sides only, has an average depth of 2m. See photograph. (4)

Published survey (25") of moat revised. See photograph of manor
house. (5)

I Ogle Castle,
II Barn at Ogle Castle
I Double moat at Ogle Castle

Tower house probably dating from 1341, with a later medieval manor house added. A sundial dated 1717. All stone, with steeply pitched stone roof, centre and end chimneys. Present front of 2 storeys has a studded door in chamfered frame with label, 3 windows on ground floor and 4 above (mullioned). Rear has staircase wing. Projecting chimney and corbelled garderobe projection. External stone stairs to upper door at side. Gabled wing has an original window on first floor of 6 lights, and a 2-light window in gable. Long brick and pantiled barn to right at right angles to main house, (to east, extending south) and attached to it. Double moat still traceable. On 1952 List. (6)

Ogle Castle. House, probably hall block of former castle.
Main block an early C16 remodelling of medieval fabric; west wing a C16 addition; mid C20 restoration and minor additions. Main block squared stone, wing large rubble; cut dressings; stone slate roof. L-plan. Historical note. The house may have been the main half of a castle with curtain wall and half-round towers. Hutchinson in 1776 records the remains of a circular tower to east of the house, demolished when gable end rebuilt and farm buildings added. (See List for full architectural account). (7)

The present Ogle Castle is occupied and in good condition though not outstanding. There is no external evidence of pre-17th century fabric. Only the west and north arms of the moat remains, the remainder having been destroyed by farm outbuildings and garden landscaping. That part of the moat still visible is unusually strong. It is 5.0m deep below internal and external banks up to 2.2m high. Surveyed at 1:2500. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1906
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of Northumberland, volume two : the parishes of Embleton, Ellingham, Howick, Long Houghton and Lesbury
Source details :
Page(s) : 379-80
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.2
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details :
Page(s) : 9, 13
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14 (1891)
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : A S Phillips/25-JAN-1956/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Oral: Mrs Peile (Owner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : D Smith/12-FEB-1968/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Castle Ward, JULY-1968
Page(s) : 35
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Castle Morpeth, 29-APR-1987
Page(s) : 78
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Keith Blood/04-JUL-1989/RCHME Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 24-Dec-98
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licence to crenellate in 1341
Monument End Date : 1341
Monument Start Date : 1341
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored in the mid C20
Monument End Date : 1966
Monument Start Date : 1933
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 428716
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 28557
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 17 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 23075
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1568234
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 17 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1956-01-25
End Date : 1956-01-25
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 17 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-02-12
End Date : 1968-02-12
Associated Activities : OGLE LODGE, OGLE CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2004-01-01
End Date : 2004-12-31