HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1546715

Hob Uid: 1546715
Location :
Medway
Frindsbury Extra
Grid Ref : TQ7534771985
Summary : A Second World War military installation, probably an anti aircraft gun emplacement, has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. This installation is situated on the west facing slope below Chattenden Barracks (Monument 1545088), and could have provided protection for the many sites on Deangate Ridge, including the Barracks, Upnor and Chattenden military railway (Monument 1545587), Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790 and 1545604) and railway depot (Monument 1545594) and the Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634). The site comprises three small buildings within a curvilinear barbed wire enclosure, accessed by a 323.5m long track. Midway along the track is a second group of three military support buildings.
More information : TQ 7523 7193. A Second World War military installation, probably an anti aircraft gun emplacement, has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. This installation is situated on the west facing slope below Chattenden Barracks (Monument 1545088), and could have provided protection for the many sites on Deangate Ridge, including the Barracks, Upnor and Chattenden military railway (Monument 1545587), Chattenden Magazines (Monument 1481790 and 1545604) and railway depot (Monument 1545594) and the Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634). The site comprises three small buildings within a curvilinear barbed wire enclosure, accessed by a 323.5m long track (TQ 7552 7200 - TQ 7530 7201 - TQ 7523 7196). Midway along the track (at TQ 7530 7204) is a second group of three military support buildings. (1-2)

The site was decommissioned soon after the Second World War, and appeared to be out of use when photographed in January 1947. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/HLA/617 6100 20-JUN-1942
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR US/7GR/LOC348 3059 27-MAY-1944
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1923 3086 16-JAN-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 77 SE 283
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1481790
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545587
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545594
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545604
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545088
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1077634
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: HOO PENINSULA LANDSCAPE PROJECT NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2010-09-01
End Date : 2012-03-01