HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Titchfield Abbey

Hob Uid: 234287
Location :
Hampshire
Fareham
Fareham
Grid Ref : SU5419306654
Summary : The ruins of Titchfield Abbey, a Premonstratenian Abbey founded in 1232 by Peter de Roches, Bishop of Winchester. To the northwest of the abbey complex is a line of four (originally five) medieval fishponds which date shortly after the foundation of the abbey in the 13th century. Drains leading to the abbey and a pond-side building are also of 13th century date.In 1537 the abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and the monastic estate passed to Thomas Wriothesley. By 1542 he had converted the buildings into the residence known as 'Palace House'. This house survived little altered until the greater part of it was demolished in 1781. The ruin is now managed by English Heritage.Titchfield Abbey was built for Premonstratensian canons and the surviving remains of the abbey include the cloister and the nave of the church. When the buildings were converted into a Tudor house the cloister became the courtyard and the nave became its gatehouse. The four towers of the gatehouse form the most visually impressive feature of the ruins. Archaeological investigations carried out by Sir William St John Hope in the early 20th century identified the position of the frater, chapter house, library and the quire of the church, which are largely enclosed within a 16th century boundary wall.
More information : (SU 54190667) Remains of Titchfield Abbey (AT)
(Premonstratensian founded AD 1232). (1)

See MPB&W booklet. (2)

Titchfield Abbey is in the care of the MPB&W, and is maintained in good condition. Between SU 53850677 and SU 54130675 are four-in-line fishponds, three of which are waterfilled. A stonelined underground conduit leads from the easternmost fishpond in the direction of the abbey buildings. Its course is indicated by several ground collapses and the eastern end has been destroyed within a private garden by the construction of a sunken tennis court.

At SU 53940647 is a large tithe barn in good condition. This is the subject of a separate scheduling.

At SU 54070661 are the north end wall and foundations of a stone building of early 16th century date. (not noted by MPB&W) Abbey resurveyed, drain surveyed, other features revised at 1:2500. See photographs. (2)

Scheduled: Abbey (No. 3) Barn (No.216). (3)

Barn - Grade I. (4)

Excavations of the Abbey fishponds were undertaken to determine the construction method. Reports. (5-8)

(See also SU 50 NW 42, SU 50 NW 45, SU 50 SW 19 for associated fishponds, and SU 50 NW 44 for the Tithe Barn).

The Abbey of St Mary and St John the Evangelist was founded in 1232 by Peter de Roches, Bishop of Winchester, for Premonstratensian canons. The history of the abbey was uneventful and at the suppression of the monasteries in 1537 the monastic estate passed to Thomas Wriothesley, who by 1542, had converted the monastic buildings into the residence known as 'Palace House'. This survived little altered until the greater part of it was demolished in 1781. The surviving remains of the abbey include the cloister, used in the 16th century as the courtyard of the country house, and the nave of the church which became its gatehouse. The four towers of the gatehouse form the most visually impressive element of the ruins. The position of the frater, chapter house, library and the quire of the church are also known from archaeological investigations carried out by Sir William St John Hope in the early 20th century and are largely enclosed within a 16th century boundary wall. To the northwest of the abbey complex is a line of four (originally five) medieval fishponds which date shortly after the foundation of the abbey in the 13th century. Drains leading to the abbey and a pond-side building are also of 13th century date. (9)

There are several gun-ports dating to 1537-9. (10)

The ruins of a Premonstratensian abbey which later became a Tudor house with a turreted gatehouse. (11)

The ruins of a Premonstratensian Abbey founded in 1232 by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester. Its mother house was Halesowen Abbey in Worcestershire. It was converted into a house by Thomas Wriothesley after its dissolution in 1537. The church had an aisleless nave, central tower, transepts with eastern chapels and a presbytery, with the cloister to the north of church and the chapter house to the east. The remains include the gatehouse and parts of the flanking walls. There is evidence for extra-claustral buildings and fishponds. For further details please refer to the Hampshire Historic Environment Record. (12)

A brief history and description. (13)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1963
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 11-FEB-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : English Heritage Visitor Handbook 2009/10
Source details :
Page(s) : 77
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Heritage Gateway. 2009. Hampshire Archaeology and Historic Buildings Record Search 19310, [Accessed 29-APR-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Heritage Unlocked: London and the South East
Source details :
Page(s) : 82-83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : SU 50 NW 3 (Titchfield Abbey) (SU 5406) (1969)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : SU 50 NW 3 (Titchfield Abbey) (1969)
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Fareham Borough 1976
Page(s) : 105
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Archaeology in Hampshire, annual report
Source details :
Page(s) : 49-50
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1984-85
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : (C K Currie)
Page(s) : 182-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 29, 1985
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : (C K Currie)
Page(s) : 147-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 30, 1986
Source Number : 8
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 191-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 26-Feb-97
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 84
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 84, 1977

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built C13 (from 1232)
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1232
Monument Type : Fishpond, Drain, Structure
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded in 1232
Monument End Date : 1232
Monument Start Date : 1232
Monument Type : Premonstratensian Monastery, Abbey, Cloister, Church, Chapter House, Refectory, Infirmary, Library
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Partly demolished in 1781
Monument End Date : 1781
Monument Start Date : 1781
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Tudor
Display Date : Constructed 1537 to 1542
Monument End Date : 1542
Monument Start Date : 1537
Monument Type : Country House, Gatehouse, Courtyard, Loopholed Wall
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Tudor
Display Date : Dissolved in 1537
Monument End Date : 1537
Monument Start Date : 1537
Monument Type : Premonstratensian Monastery, Abbey
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HA 3
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Guardianship Number
External Cross Reference Number : 602
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 26713
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 106653
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 225
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Hampshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 19310
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : DP069047
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : ViewFinder
External Cross Reference Number : BB015904
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 50 NW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 815755
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 831524
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 831973
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 831520
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 50 NW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-02-11
End Date : 1969-02-11
Associated Activities : TITCHFIELD ABBEY FISHPONDS
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1985-01-01
End Date : 1985-12-31
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : TITCHFIELD ABBEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : TITCHFIELD ABBEY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2003-01-01
End Date : 2003-12-31
Associated Activities : LAND AT TITCHFIELD ABBEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31
Associated Activities : LAND AT TITCHFIELD ABBEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31