HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Horsley Tower

Hob Uid: 23498
Location :
Northumberland
Longhorsley
Grid Ref : NZ1462294640
Summary : Tower house, probably of 16th century date, extended to the north in the mid 17th century and restored circa 1930. The stone-built house is L-shaped in plan, with slate roofs. After 1763, the top floor of the tower was converted into a Roman Catholic chapel, which remained in use until 1841.
More information : (NZ 14609463) Horsley Tower (GT) (1)

Tower at Longhorsley. (2)

The tower is a plain rectangle, 42ft east to west, and 30ft north to
south. It has a large number of large windows on the south side with stone labels over them. They do not look like insertions. The present entrance is in the east wall, but an older square-headed doorway now converted into a window, in the south wall, led directly into the vault which occupies the western part of the basement. This vault with a cylindrical stone roof was 22ft 2ins long by 17ft 10ins broad before it was subdivided. At the north end of the east wall is a doorway into a small vault, and through this was the entrance to a gabled addition made to the tower, parallel with the east wall, apparently about the close of the 17th century. A short passage from near the former entrance at the south east corner of the main vault leads to the wheel-stair which ascends to the battlements, terminating in a small turret, which seems to have had embrasures of its own. The battlements are perfectly plain. The tower has three upper floors. (3)

When or by whom the tower of Horsley was built, there is no record, hint or tradition, though there can be no doubt that it belonged to Sir John Horsley in the time of Henry VIII. It is not mentioned in the 1415 Survey. The tower has been converted into a manse and a chapel. (4)

The massive old pale tower occupies a commanding position to the west of the village. There is apparently little change to be observed as regards its outward features, since the time it was built. It is now in the possession of the Riddell family. (5)

The external features described by authority 3 are correct except that the present entrance is on the south side and the square headed doorway, now a window, is to the east. The building is four storied and constructed of coursed and dressed
masonry. None of the architectural features that remain appear to be earlier than the 16th century. The projecting wing on the north side has, in its west wall, a wide Tudor doorway and a large window with moulded surround. The building is in good condition and in use as a residence. (6)

Condition unchanged. (7)

The Tower, Grade II*, Longhorsley. Probably 16th century, oblong stone tower 4 storeys high. South front has panelled door and fanlight in plain doorcase with hoodmould; low ground floor casement; first floor has a 3 light stone-mullioned window and an 8-paned non-opening window, both with labels; second floor has 2. (8)

Tower house, probably of 16th century date, extended to the north in the mid 17th century and restored circa 1930. The stone-built house is L-shaped in plan, with slate roofs. After 1763, the top floor of the tower was converted into a Roman Catholic chapel, which remained in use until 1841. Listed Grade II*. (9)

Listed by Cathcart King and Dodds. (10,11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1924
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch.Ael.4th Series 16 1939 p.176 Map of Md.Northum and Durham (R.N.Hadcock)
Page(s) : 176
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 16
Source Number : 11
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 337
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch.Ael.2nd Series 14 1891 pp.380-1 (Photo 1884 opp.p.380) (C.J.Bates)
Page(s) : 380-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Northumberland. Part II Vol II 1832 p.100 (J Hodgson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Monthly Chronicle of North Country Lore and Legend. V 1891, pp 568-9. (Sketch p.568) (Anon)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 EG 14-JAN-57
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 BHP 19-JUL-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Morpeth RD, Northum, April 1969, 7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Castle Morpeth, 30-JAN-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 199-200
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Mid C17
Monument End Date : 1666
Monument Start Date : 1633
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1763-1841
Monument End Date : 1841
Monument Start Date : 1763
Monument Type : Tower, Roman Catholic Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored c1930
Monument End Date : 1940
Monument Start Date : 1920
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 238319
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 110930
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 19 SW 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 19 SW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1957-01-14
End Date : 1957-01-14
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 19 SW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-07-19
End Date : 1971-07-19